What Type Of Flooring In Your Storefront Kitchen?

Business By btrsktch Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 6:40am by tcakes65

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

For those of you who have a storefront, what kind of flooring did you put in your kitchen, and what made you choose it?

Thanks!

4 replies
vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 5

My building had a concrete slab. It had an old vinyl flooring that left quite a lot of stains and rough spots. If I'd had a nice clean slab to start with, I probably would have done a concrete stain, it looks classy, is not expensive and is easy to clean. I put down the commercial 12x12 tiles. With adhesive it costs about a dollar a square foot. I did mine in a checkerboard pattern. The down side is you have to rent one of those machines to get it scrubbed clean and then to buff out the gloss finish. It's easy to sweep and mop. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the look. My guess is about once every couple of months I'll want to rent the machine again and rewax and polish it.
Depending on your state, your floor covering has to meet health department regs, so whatever you decide, run it by your county health inspector first.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

i'm renting now, and the sub floor was smooth, so i just put vinyl on that looks like 12 by 12 tiles...i figgered i wouldn't be here forever....it's held up pretty well,

i'm think of stained concrete at the next place.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 5

I had a concrete floor and we just sealed it. Cheapest way to go. Health dept guy came in and said, "Boy you made the best decision on your flooring. This is the only way to go." I told him, "It was the cheapest option!" All of my equipment rolls out nice and easy on this floor.

During the build-out, I was not interested in "pretty"...... I wanted functional and HD approval. Money spent for "pretty" is money that could be better spent on equipment that saves me productivity time and makes me more profit. I told my contractor and kitchen designer, "Don't tell me what will "look nice" ..... tell me what I need to function properly."

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:40am
post #5 of 5

I have a concrete floor and covered it with the epoxy garage floor covering. I chose a tan color with tan, black, and white flakes. It's easy to clean and maintain. The floor actually looks clean, nice and professional. My inspector thought it was a smart choice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%