Bubble In Buttercream Frosted Cake ... Y???

Decorating By pasteles73 Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 4:39am by pasteles73

pasteles73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasteles73 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:56am
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to cake decorating and today was my 1st experience with a semi-disaster icon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gif

I made a cake for a friend today (chocolate cherry) and I frosted it with buttercream and put some fondant accents on the sides. All good so far... icon_smile.gif

When I delivered it to her, about 1 hour after I made it, it had a HUGE bubble on the top of it. WHY???? icon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? and How can I avoid from it happing it again?

Thank you in advance to all who offer their assistance/comments.

icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 5

I know it has to do with letting the cake sit after filling and leveling before icing it, but I want to "listen in" to the responses you get icon_redface.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #3 of 5

Curious! icon_confused.gif

Would love to see a picture to see what it looked loke.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 5

my question.. did you let the cake settle before you iced it...
was the bubble in the icing, or was it the sides of the cakes drooping?

if it was a bubble, it could be that your crumb coat was too dry when you applied your final coat...

im sorry, but we all hav tragedies happen to us!!! shrug it off and think.. it is only cake!

FEAR NOT THE CAKE.... LITTLE ONE!

pasteles73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pasteles73 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:39am
post #5 of 5

pinklesley1 - I let it settle for an hour or so before I iced it. The bubble was on the top of the cake (it was a BIG bubble). I applied a crumb coat and then iced it right after. I will shrug it off ... thanks for the encouragement icon_biggrin.gif

Parable - Sorry I didn't take a picture after the bubble appeared, I had dropped it off at my friend's house already ... sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%