Help With Modeling Chocolate!

Decorating By BlueDevil Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 1:44am by TJCanadian

BlueDevil Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 4

I made modeling chocolate yesterday...2 lbs. of dark chocolate melted, then added 1/2 cup corn syrup and stirred until it came together. Wrapped in saran wrap overnight, then brought to room temp.

It was very cracky-crumbly! I could not roll it out or make sheets of chocolate to wrap my cake becuase it just crumbled....had to do without! icon_sad.gif 3/4 Sheet of Killer Chocolate Cake filled with dark chocolate mouse and covered with fondat, then airbrushed cake with the young lady's horse!

Any suggestions? Should I remelt and add additional corn syrup to make it more elastic?

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #2 of 4

The standard recipe is 16 ounces - ONE pound of chocolate a 1/2 cup corn syrup.

Gently remelt the crumbled mess, then add another 1/2 cup cornsyrup, stir just until combined. Let it rest and it should knead into a smooth dough

BlueDevil Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

The standard recipe is 16 ounces - ONE pound of chocolate a 1/2 cup corn syrup.

Gently remelt the crumbled mess, then add another 1/2 cup cornsyrup, stir just until combined. Let it rest and it should knead into a smooth dough

DOH! I should have double-checked the recipe...I thought it was 1/4 cup per pound.

Whatta dork!

Thanks for the help.

TJCanadian Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:44am
post #4 of 4

Also, even if you've only let it sit overnight, you will have to work it for quite a while to get it pliable again. Even if its crumbly or hard, once you work it really well, it will get smooth and soft again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%