Serious Problems With Colored Fondant Help!!

Decorating By kristina67 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm by plbennett_8

kristina67 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 4

I'm in the middle of covering a cake for a wedding tomorrow and it's not going soo good. icon_cry.gif I colored my homemade fondant and it is really soft. I kneaded some more ps and it's still soft. I added a little more and thought it was close enough...sticky though. I put it on the cake and it looks super dry...hairline cracks and eensy pot holes. I put some shortening on the cake and it just isn't working.
What should I do!!!!! I need to cover one more. Fortunately I am putting scroll work all over, but it isn't up to par.
My uncolored fondant is just fine. Firm but pliable, not that sticky. What's the difference. I had this same problem with chocolate fondant too.
I hope someone is out there cause I need Help fast!

3 replies
beachcakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry - probably too late for you! When you add alot of color to fondant, it becomes very soft. You were right to add more PS to it. It sounds as if you may have added too much, it sounds like it's dry since it's cracking. You might try working some colored royal icing into the cracks; it may work. If it's too bad, I'd take it off and work some shortening into it and try again. Do you roll out on shortening or powdered sugar?

The potholes are a separate issue w/ MMF that I have never figured out. Since switching to commercial fondant, I've never had potholes. MMF's behaviour can be inconsistent - it varies with the weather!

kristina67 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 4

thanks beachcakes for your input. I worked on the second tier a little more before I put it on the cake and I did have a better turn out. I wish I knew how to get back to the point of perfect fondant. Even after adding more ps it was still pretty soft. If I held half of it in my hand in the air the other half would quickly droop down. My normal fondant, before kneading, would almost need to be microwaved to make it pliable. I love my fondant because it works so well for me.
If I keep adding ps to make it really firm again and then a little shortening added back in would it still be dry? I'm always afraid to go too far because then I could really ruin it and I have no time to make more icon_cry.gif
I generally start off with a little shortening then add ps to knead on.
I wish there was a tutorial on this. I need a visual.
I used to use MMF but now I make my own regular fondant. 90% of the time it's wonderful. It has to be the coloring....

plbennett_8 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 4

Oh yea,

I have had a problem with deep colored fondant being way too soft... It breaks down the stability of the fondant even when added in the liquid stage of the process... I am going to try kneading in a little tylose powder the next time I have to do a deep color...

If anyone had already tried this, I would love to hear some feedback... I would love an air brush... Aw well, one step at a time... icon_smile.gif

Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%