Wilton Cake Drums?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm by tonedna

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 12

Did I get a bad package of Wilton cake drums? I've never bought Wilton before but i had a coupon for Michael's so I picked up a package. They don't sit flat on the counter!! It's like they're warped or something. I used it anyway b/c I can't get one from Country Kitchens before Sunday - but now with the cake on it, it doesn't seem sturdy at all! It feels like it's bowing!! Anyone had this experience? Ugh!

11 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #2 of 12

Sorry, I can't help you, but I was just going to buy some Wilton drums at Michael's tomorrow. Now, you've got me thinking. I'll be watching the replies to this one!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #3 of 12

I have never had a problem with them, you must have got a bad batch, or somebody bent them.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 12

that happens all the time... that is why i never buy too many cake drums at once...

what my DH does is he puts weight on top of them to make them FLAT...

he is the master of finding flat ones... i buy them from a local place here in miami.. america cake supplies, and they always have nice flat ones, but when i am forced to go the michaels and buy them, i have him search for the straight ones..

but it will not impair the strength of the board. just try to put your hand up under it!

and unfortunatley you just have to be careful when you buy them and make sure that they are as straight as possible!

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:46am
post #5 of 12

I use the Wilton ones all the time and have never had a problem, I agree you must have gotten a bad batch. Does any one have a suggestion on where you can get square ones similar to the Wilton ones? I have 1 local shop, but they are a bit pricey.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

the only places where i have seen the square ones, are the local places. i have check all the other places, and eventhough you are a bit pricey that is pretty much the only place that you can get them...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:56am
post #7 of 12

This happens not only with wilton but with other companies. I have received them like that!..I have no idea why..but they are no good to use and nothing will fix! I would return..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #8 of 12

I hate to say it, but I have never been happy with the larger Wilton cake drums. They are kind of flimsy and have too much give.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 12

Thanks guys, I've never had this problem with non-Wilton Boards. Guess I've been lucky. Unfortunately the cake is already on it.

stlouiscake - this is a 16" and that's exactly what it feels like - too much give! icon_sad.gif

It also appears that they're taller than the regular ones I buy - the ribbon I have for it won't fit.

tonedna Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 12

Aww sorry beach cakes, I know I had this issue a few times with different companies. I dont know if it has to do with weather and packaging.
Edna

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 12

Maybe a stupid question but are cake drums & cake boards the same thing?

tonedna Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 12

Yes Nancy...they are the thick ones...and that's not a stupid question!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%