Love You Forever

Lounge By Amia Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm by sarahpierce

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 17

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch: does that book make anyone else bawl like a baby?!?!?! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif My son loves the book, but I can't read it to him without becoming a blubbering fool! Please tell me I'm not the only one. I couldn't be!

If you've never heard of this book, you may read it here: http://www.rogerknapp.com/inspire/loveforever.htm -- but be warned, you will need a box of kleenex while you read. Just thinking about it is making me all teary-eyed! The joys of motherhood...? icon_rolleyes.gif

16 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 17

Yes, it has that effect on me, too. I haven't read it for years, though, as my "baby" started 10th grade yesterday.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 17

Yes, I too cried while reading that. Why oh why do they have to grow up so darn fast icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Mine is only 6 but it seems like only yesterday that he was toddling toward me saying "mama kiss." Now i'm crying again LOL!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #4 of 17

Oooooh yeah, that book made me cry so much I had to stop reading it to my son - he loved the book but it was too touching for me! He's now almost 18 but even thinking about the story for too long will make me sniffly.

Deanna

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 17

Oh yes, that book makes me cry too. It always has, even before I had kids and I would read it to my littlest sister.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #6 of 17

Isn't this the book with the little boy playing with rolls of toilet paper on the front? We always joked that was the hint that is was a tearjerker. icon_lol.gif

I have always loved this one. I don't think my kids ever really understood the signifigance of how the child became the caregiver, but I think it's beautiful.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #7 of 17

I just read it for the first time. I cried icon_cry.gif .Especially since my 2 boys are ages 2 and 9! How perfect. One of my all time favorite books is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. It's such a touching book, and I tear up everytime I read it. Thanks for the great story! I'll have to show this one to my DH since he's a childrens author he'll really appreciate it. thumbs_up.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 17

I love The Giving Tree! Once, my aunt sent my son a bunch of books when he was maybe 5 or 6 years old, and since she knew it was a favorite of mine, she sent me a nice new copy of The Giving Tree. I read it to my son and he offered to trade me the whole stack of his new books for that one!

Deanna

joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 17

I would read "I Love You Forever" to my daughters when they were little! We loved the book. We started to recite the little poem from the book at bedtime, and have continued doing so everynight- and they are going to be 11 this month.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 17

"I Knew You Could" makes me cry just as much as "Love You Forever"... I actually had to put both away because I couldn't get through them without my kids asking me what's wrong icon_cry.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 17

Both "Love you Forever" and "The Giving Tree" make me cry. Even now, and my girls are 11 and 13. I used to have love you forever memorized.

Amia Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 17

"The Giving Tree" is also a good one! I love Shel Silverstein and have all his works. We also like "Corduroy."

sarahpierce, what books has your DH written? I've toyed with the idea of writing a children's book, myself.

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 17

I gave my mom that book when i was like 20 years old. Now that I'm a mom it makes me cry too.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #14 of 17

Love You Forever was my DD favorite book growing up and it still is today and she is 23! Our cousin is expecting her first child in September and we bought her that for part of her shower gift!

Yep - its a tear jerker - I get all wimpy just thinking about it!

Thanks for bringing up some very good, fond memories!

Suze

sarahpierce Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 11:32am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

"The Giving Tree" is also a good one! I love Shel Silverstein and have all his works. We also like "Corduroy."

sarahpierce, what books has your DH written? I've toyed with the idea of writing a children's book, myself.

My DH actually just signed a contract with an agent. So hopefully soon it will be published. It's called Ambushed:A Tale of Deceit. It's a story of an evil toy maker that just happens to look like George Bush. icon_lol.gif His best friend is a tattoo artist and he illustrated it for him. My DH is writing political children's books. He takes topics about the world that aren't all wonderful and sunny (ex. harmful toys, gun violence) and puts them into terms kids can understand, and ways of dealing with them. He's really amazing, and I hope a publishing company sees that. I'm very excited. The books are also easy to read. My 9 year old has a learning disability in reading and he has no problem with it. Thanks for letting me brag a little about my DH icon_biggrin.gif . And thank you for your interest. I'll let you know when it gets published.

Amia Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

My DH actually just signed a contract with an agent. So hopefully soon it will be published. It's called Ambushed:A Tale of Deceit. It's a story of an evil toy maker that just happens to look like George Bush. icon_lol.gif His best friend is a tattoo artist and he illustrated it for him. My DH is writing political children's books. He takes topics about the world that aren't all wonderful and sunny (ex. harmful toys, gun violence) and puts them into terms kids can understand, and ways of dealing with them. He's really amazing, and I hope a publishing company sees that. I'm very excited. The books are also easy to read. My 9 year old has a learning disability in reading and he has no problem with it. Thanks for letting me brag a little about my DH icon_biggrin.gif . And thank you for your interest. I'll let you know when it gets published.

Yes, please do! That is very exciting! icon_biggrin.gif

sarahpierce Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you. The story he is writing now is inspired by all the tragic school children deaths on Chicago's south side. Just this year there has been an ungodly amount. It truly is sad, and the school children are terrified to even go outside. They know they could be shot. DH wants to raise awareness- children ARE the future. If anyone has an idea on what should be a childrens political-type book, feel free to give your opinions. One of my ideas was how to talk to your children about obesity, and not harm their self-esteem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%