**buttercream Icing Question... Help The Newbie Please!**

Decorating By missa4713 Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 3:06am by missa4713

missa4713 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone! First, I just want to say I LOVE this site! It's like taking a decorating class through the threads! haha
I am working on my first cake for my daughters birthday on Sunday. I've already baked the cake, wrapped in plastic wrap, and put in freezer. I am decorating tomorrow (buttercream icing w/ fondant decorations). I'd really like to get the frosting done tonight. I know I can refrigerate it, but do I need to let it sit out in the morning so it will be the right consistency? The buttercream recipe is a combo of butter, salted butter, crisco, vanilla and milk. Also, since it has milk in it, does the cake need to be refrigerated when it's done? Oh, and how quickly after I put on the buttercream should I add the fondant? Thanks everyone... I know I have stupid questions but I'm a bit lost. You are wonderful!!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cakeladyem Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 6

I love this site too, I just found it recently and it has helped me learn several things already. And everyone is so nice and supportive. Welcome!
For your buttercream, you can definately make it ahead and refrigerate it. It will be much easier to spread and work with if you do let it come to room temp before you use it though, and re whip it. I think the BC will still be fine if left out of the fridge on your cake for a few days, its a very small amount of milk I am assuming. In the recipe I use, there is 2-4 tablespoons milk and I just substitute water just because it makes me feel a little more comfortable. I don't notice any difference in the taste. You could also use non-dairy coffee creamer instead. Even the powdered kind has directions for mixing it with water to make a liquid so you could use it too.
It will be easiest to put the fondant decorations on right away before the frosting crusts, but if that doesn't work you can still put them on whenever and pipe a little buttercream onto the back of the decorations to stick them to the cake. I hope that helps, good luck with your cake!

superstar Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #3 of 6

You do not need to put the cake in the fridge at all or the BC, it can be left out with no problem for a few days. After I have covered my cake with the BC, I wait a short while & do the Melvira roller method to smooth it & then put my fondant on the cake

sandykay Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 6

I agree BC is much easier to work with at room temp, with that said it also depends on where you live. I live in Fla and BC made with butter in it would surely need to be put in the fridge at this time of the year, simply to keep it from melting. Good luck and I'm sure you will do a wonderful job.

JanH Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

American buttercream recipes made with butter and small amounts of milk or cream don't require refrigeration because the powdered sugar (which is hygroscopic) controls the water activity.

missa4713 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much! Will post a picture when I finish icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%