How Well Does Airbrush Work On Gumpaste (Flowers And Leaves)

Decorating By Lori2240 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 3:53am by sweetcakes

Lori2240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori2240 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

I am entertaining the idea of getting an airbrush and was wondering if you can use it in replacement of petal dusts? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 5

I have an airbrush but haven't used it for gumpaste flowers. I am not an expert with the airbrush be any means, but for me I think it would be difficult to control it and get the details that you need in flowers. For the all over covering I suppose it might work, but I haven't tried it. Sorry.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

The airbrush would be a quick way to add sparkle to a bunch of flowers but I don't think this will replace the hand decoration of petal dust. I have seen people do flowers in all white and then hand-dip them in airbrush colors and layer more color on.....I guess I am thinking the airbrush would leave them looking somewhat flat but I guess if you layered the colors.....

Ok, totally backtracking on myself now because I am not sure it wouldn't work....cool idea. I might have to try it. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:16am
post #4 of 5

If you have a good airbrush (one meant for fine/detail work) you can absolutely do flowers with them. I have only done it myself once when I had a TON of flowers to do, and it definitely saved me time and I was happy with the result. I have also attended several demos that showcased this method and results were quite good! Like anything else, you would use different colors/shades to highlight/low light, and give life to the flowers, not just all-over spray with one color like you are spray painting.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 5

my friend made a ton of GP flowers for a wedding cake that i airbrushed for her. many had 2 or 3 colours on them some had fine lines running down the center and even small dots. i spent 2 days sraying them. She was very pleased with the results that she bought an airbrush for herself, now to give her lessons. so yes it is certainly doable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%