Bought The Bettercreme Now What Do I Do With It?

Decorating By hammer1 Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 3:05am by kakeladi

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 8

Kept reading that people said I should use this to do my cakes. Ok, I made the trip to Columbus, Ohio, found the GFS and bought some. The container said to use it for cream horns and doughnuts, I don't make those. Do I add vanilla, p sugar, flavorings. The cakes certainly must be refrigerated. Do you just fill the cake with this stuff and ice with buttercream. Help!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 8

What did you get? Is it already whipped or liquid? Is it in a plastic (disaposable) bag? In a container like milk? Or in a bucket?
I never added anything to it....it is sweet enough and flavored already. It is non-dairy 'whipped cream' substitute. Cakes can be left at room temp up to 3 days and refrig'd for 7 (at least that's how I remember it.)
In my opinion it tastes best when eaten w/in 24 hrs after it's on a cake. After that it sort of airates (gets spongy) and the flavor changes somewhat.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 8

I bought the liquid in the milk like container. You mean I whip it and I can leave a cake out of refrigeration, wow!

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 8

Does anyone know of bettercreme is the same thing or idea as Pastry Pride? Can you treat them both the same way?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 8

If you bought the liquid in the pink and white carton. You whip it up like you make whipped cream from heavy cream ! Yes it can sit out with out a problem for a couple days ! Do NOT over whip or you get more like a butter !
Our favorite way to use it on the very long cuppy thread is add different syrups to it while its still liquid and then whip! Any of the ice cream topping syrups are delicious ! Especialy the Hersheys choc malt syrup or the Strawberry ! I love it and could just drink it out of the carton without the whipping part ! LOL!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 8

I have not tried the Pastry Pride. I cant get that here ,but I hear it is the same thing. But some like the Riches bettercreme better !

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #7 of 8

I had heard all about the bettercream but didn't know where to find it. I finally found it at the GFS one day. Just happened to be looking for something I don't usually look for and there it was. Never would have expected to find it where I did, but now I know where to find it if I do decide to try it. lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 8

O.k. everyone there's the skinny on Rich's "Bettercreme" (NOT buttercream); Pastry Price and Frostin' Pride.

They are basically the same thing - a non dairy whipped cream substitute that is in a semi fzn state. It does not freeze firm - evericon_smile.gif
It's best to get the liquid form - as opposed to the ready whipped. Do NOT defrost it; open the top and spoon out how much you want to whip up keeping the rest fzn. Whip right away while still fzn. As I remember it doubles in volumn - maybe a little more.
Pastry pride is ment to be used as a filling. Frostin Pride is what you should be using to ice your cakes. It holds up better; it takes color a bit better and tastes about the same.
I can't remember for sure about Bettercreme but Pastry Pride does N OT take color well at all. You can only tint it to a pastel shade. Try adding more and it will tunr to water and *never* whip stifficon_sad.gif

If you overwhip it - it will look just fine but will be very hard to squeeze thru a bag. It probably will smooth o.k. w/a spatula but after sitting on the cake (like an hr later?) it will start to crack apart; nothing you do will fix the problemicon_sad.gif
If it is overwhipped it is easy to fix; just add some more liquid and *stir* just enough to incorporate it.

You can mix it w/buttercream icing up to 1/2 & 1/2 if you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%