When Someone Asks For A Filled Cake, Do You...

Decorating By clopin0 Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm by mama5kiddos

clopin0 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 8

1. torte and fill to make 4 layers of cake OR
2. use 1 layer of filling to make 2 layers of cake?

This is assuming you are using 2 2-inch cakes.

Thanks!

7 replies
cakelady15 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 8

I use 1 layer of filling to make 2 2" cakes. I've never done 4 before but I have seen some people say it makes the cake a little less stable. I haven't done it though so I don't know for sure icon_smile.gif

Rincewind Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 8

I'm not a professional, but if I was asking for a filled cake, I'd be expecting either a torted cake with four layers or 2 layers of 2-inch cake layers (so, just 2 cake layers un-torted). Does that make sense?

I prefer torting and filling (to make) four layers for most cakes myself.

Edit Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 8

In my experience, only unstable fillings make a 4 layer cake less stable. Since I use SMBC and variations as fillings or fruit fillings, I prefer to have a helping of the tasty filling with every bite someone takes. So my cakes are 4 layers.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 8

I might be confused, but if I have 2 layers of cake, then I HAVE to have some kind of filling in there ... be it raspberry or just white BC icing .... to hold those 2 layers together. So any 2-layer cake that I do is ALWAYS filled. It's not even a question.

I can't say that any client has ever made a point to request a filled cake. If they are getting a layered cake, it's a given.

My standard is 2 layers of cake with one layer of filling.

JanH Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:43am
post #6 of 8
PinkZiab Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #7 of 8

I torte and fill all of my cakes. Depending on the particular order it is either one 3" torted twice (2 layers of filling, 3 cake) or two 2" layers each torted once (3 layers of filling, 4 of cake). I don't EVER sell an unfilled cake.

mama5kiddos Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 8

I make 2 seperate 2" layers of cake, and put filling in between...2 layers of cake, 1 layer of filling. For WEDDING orders though, I torte it so there is 4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%