Skull Cake Ideas

Decorating By NikkiDoc Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 7:05pm by 7yyrt

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 4

Anyone ever done a skull cake? I need ideas for a skull cake, more accurately a Johhny Blaze cake (Ghost Rider). I have looked all over the internet for a *BLEEEP*ing Johnny Blaze pic or coloring page to no avail! icon_cry.gif All the pics are quite small or just too detailed (this is a gift cake). I just need a close up of the skull itself with the flames coming out of it. So I started searching skull pics. I found one that I like that I will have to enlarge, still I'm not sure if I want to do a transfer. And I've no idea if I can make flames without having some sort of template. I've never sculpted a cake before and thought about using a Halloween mask to help me along. (They are ALREADY putting that stuff out in stores.)

This will be my nephews cake, it is quite a ways off (mid October) but I like to do my research early... icon_rolleyes.gif I will probably want to use all BC because he doesn't like fondant, so this may mean I will have to go with a transfer. TIA!

3 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 4

I feel your pain! I am having some of the same issues with my Rorshach bust cake for this weekend.

Are you doing GR from the comics or from the bad Nick Cage movie? I saw some great headshots of him doing a Google Image search for 'Ghost Rider Comics'
I even saw a cake! icon_wink.gif

http://coolest-birthday-cakes.shippony.com/images/characters/ghost-rider/ghost-rider-cake-01.jpg

I bet you don't have to use a transfer but can carve the head from a large sheet (I assume you aren't doing a standing bust) after you draw a template on paper, and then frost and detail in buttercream. You can even use a paintbrush on the different shades of orange/yellow/red for the flames to mix and fade them.

Sounds like a fun cake! Smart to plan ahead!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks sadiepix. I am going to be looking for a skull mask to that I can use a guide/template for carving. No way could I do it freehand. I may do a chocolate transfer instead. I've never done one of those yet and have been wanting to try it.

Oh, yes I saw this cake pic. I love that site! There are lots of ideas I spin off from there.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%