Whos Been Your Most Interesting Customer?

Business By loriemoms Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 3:25pm by aundron

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 26

I got an email last week from a bride of mine...she and her new husband are both professional dancers and they sent me their Utube of them doing their first dance together. OMG it was amazing!!

So it got me to thinking about what interesting customers I have had, and wondered if any of you have customers that just really stick in your mind!

25 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 26

well, i don't know if this counts...but i have customers with famous names...

Max Factor
Sharon Stone
John Wayne
Leah Thomas

and my ever so delightful helper Jami Kennedy.

loriemoms Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 26

That IS funny! I have a friend named Carol Lombard!

Hey you can put in your ad "Cakes to the stars!"

littlecake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 26

one of my customers...(who reminds me of carson crestly..the blonde guy on queer eye for the straight guy)...already said that!...he is so funny!...he says i need put that in my window..."cake maker to the stars"...he says i'm fabulous...(=

i got some who look famous too...i'm gonna start taking pictures of them, i got a carmen diaz look alike, lisa loeb, came in today, i also have a kelly ripa, and a guy who looks like mike on desperate housewives...among others i can't think of now....i always tell them...hee hee...it's fun!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 26

I did a wedding cake for a girl who was the prima ballerina for the Danish Royal Ballet (I think that was the country...) She was really funny, and at some point our conversation deteriorated to the point where she was telling me that when she has to dance with a guy who's a little too "handsy" and grabs parts of her that don't need to be grabbed, she farts on him when he's lifting her. She also said that if she doesn't like one of the other dancers she'll eat a bunch of garlic before the performance so that he has to smell her the whole time, and she makes sure to breathe on him a lot.

This is apparently common practice in the ballet, so the next time you see the Nutcracker on TV just remember that they're probably all farting on each other. icon_twisted.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 26

This is apparently common practice in the ballet, so the next time you see the Nutcracker on TV just remember that they're probably all farting on each other. icon_twisted.gif[/quote]

LOL! That's hilarious. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's all I'm going to be thinking about now whenever I see a ballerina.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 26

I've had a couple of folks that I'll call "interesting" .... one was the bride who thought $500 was a lot of money ... until I found out she wanted to feed 250 people a PLATED dinner with it! icon_confused.gif Then another "interesting" bride who set a max of $25/person and ONE of her 10 requested cheeses cost ME $7.50 a person. (Sent her on her way!)

In the "famous" category, I do a couple of cakes a year for the Governor's office.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #8 of 26

Danny Glover
Gladys Knight
Elton John
Paul McCartney
Ethan Hawke
Deion Sanders and Evil Wife
A Guy Who Got His A$$ Chewed Out By Judge Judy

and my favorite, the Lesbian Rabbi Convention

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #9 of 26

wow this is impressive; and interesting reading icon_smile.gif

i think the oddest cake i've ever had to do was a bowl of mashed potatoes lol.. and the person who ordered it for his friend scraped off the "melting pat of butter" i had on it. wasn't realistic he said (grumbles) i know thats not the most interesting customer quality but for me was the oddest one lol

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 2:19am
post #10 of 26

michellenj - are those actually celebrity customers of your's... if so, very impressive. icon_smile.gif

My most memorable cake (thus far..) has been for a "coming out of the closet" party for an old friend of mine. I was given artistic license so it was a blast! (I should really post that cake... SO colorful).

loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I did a wedding cake for a girl who was the prima ballerina for the Danish Royal Ballet (I think that was the country...) She was really funny, and at some point our conversation deteriorated to the point where she was telling me that when she has to dance with a guy who's a little too "handsy" and grabs parts of her that don't need to be grabbed, she farts on him when he's lifting her. She also said that if she doesn't like one of the other dancers she'll eat a bunch of garlic before the performance so that he has to smell her the whole time, and she makes sure to breathe on him a lot.

This is apparently common practice in the ballet, so the next time you see the Nutcracker on TV just remember that they're probably all farting on each other. icon_twisted.gif

hahahahahahahahahaha!! Sorry but I am a HUGE ballet fan and my DH HATES it. I will have to tell him this story...

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 26

I have two very memorable stories, so this will be a little long. But trust me, its worth the read!

When I first came here I had to do a lot of housecleaning to make some money. I housecleaned for this one very wealthy, but cheap man whose wife kept trying to get cleaning items for me to make life a little easier. Then one day I overheard him telling her that she doesn't need to be getting all that stuff for me to use because "she is just the maid". I quit the next week; I don't like being referred to as "just" anything! But, it just so happened that by then I was cleaning for his first wife, with whom he had 3 children. What do you know, the older daughter got engaged and because I had been taking cakes for them every once in a while and they liked my cakes, she asked me to make her wedding cake. Rich arrogant father had to foot the wedding and the first wife added $75.00 to the price of the cake when she gave him the cake bill. So, "just the maid" wound up being hired to make his firstborn's wedding cake! Its the cake with the stargazer lilies in my photos.

The other bride was one who tried to carry herself with this air of extreme importance. She came for a cake tasting along with her mom and her sister. So liked everything but she said she wasn't making any committments because she had tastings with some other fancy cake places here in town. So I got to thinking, I don't really want to deal with her. My policy is "No PITA's allowed". So I waited a few days and called and left her a message telling her that I have so much going on the weekend of her wedding that I would make it easier on her and back out of the "bid" for the cake and that would be one less choice she would have to worry about. She called back and left this whole long message, halfway through which, she was crying and telling me my cake tasted the best of all the cakes she had and that while it would hurt her pride, she was prepared to beg me to make her wedding cake. I let her suffer a couple days then I called her and told her I would do it as a "favor" icon_lol.gif to her but she would have to keep it simple since I was going to be so busy. Her cake is the white cake with the ganache drizzle and pink rose petals in my photos. She wound up becoming a very humble and nice girl. Even called me a year after her wedding asking for business cards to give to her friends because they see her wedding pictures and want to know who made her cake.

So those are my most interesting customers so far.

michellenj Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #13 of 26

Yes, those are actual customers of mine. I'm leaving out a lot. Also, I forgot U2, the fat guy from Blues Traveler, Hall and Oates ( who still owes $8,000) Tim Conway and Harvey Kohrman, and Dion from the 1950's, who sang "Runaround Sue".

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #14 of 26

impressive, michellenj icon_smile.gif what an experience to meet all those people.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #15 of 26

wow! I'm impressed with all the people you CCers take care of.

costumeczar--I hate to say it, but your ballerina wasn't lying.
I performed with the a few different dance studios and trained for a little bit with the Russian Ballet. I use to perform and compete a lot for dance, until I decided that in high school I wanted to quit and play sports instead.
When I danced one ballerina would eat tuna and gassy foods if she had to dance with a guy that was a jerk. On top of it while training she would position her body a certain way to where he had to strain to lift her making it a lot harder for him. Some dancers are fun to be around and some you just avoid. Your's sounds like a really fun one.

loriemoms- If your DH likes football he better be thanking that the players take ballet. The majority of the teams do.

I have just done cakes for family friends and others.

littlecake Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Yes, those are actual customers of mine. I'm leaving out a lot. Also, I forgot U2, the fat guy from Blues Traveler, Hall and Oates ( who still owes $8,000) Tim Conway and Harvey Kohrman, and Dion from the 1950's, who sang "Runaround Sue".

WOW that's amazing!...I LOVE john popper...he's lost a lot of weight lately...is he as nice as he seems?

where are you located that you have so many famous clients?

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

LOL !!!! this is hilarious!

I'm a trained classic dancer myself (I danced for 14 years) and our group consisted of 20 to 26 girls and only 2 guys...we cherished and adored those guys...it is not easy to find talented classic male dancers in my culture.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:41am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I performed with the a few different dance studios and trained for a little bit with the Russian Ballet.

Melissa - You are a woman of many talents. You never cease to amaze me. Chef, decorator, now ballerina??? You go girl!!! thumbs_up.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #19 of 26

I had to delete my other post as I had forgotten you cannot post pics of people and I attached a pic of my cake and "Tiny Tim" of "Tiptoe Thru the Tulips", fame of the 60's.

That was my most memorable customer. He was passing through town and had heard that I could make tulips with buttercream so stopped in and visited with me while I whipped one out for him. It was so funny.

I know, everyone on here are too young to know who he is, (from Laugh In and Johnny Carson) but everyone knew who he was then. Check him out on youtube.

michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #20 of 26

I didn't mean to imply that I made cakes for all those people. My hotels have put me in contact with a lot of well known people, and as the director I got to deal w/ them so their functions didn't get screwed up.

Most of the ppl in entertainment that I've met have been pleasant, but the sports people are difficult.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Danny Glover
Gladys Knight
Elton John
Paul McCartney
Ethan Hawke

I'm loving this thread and enjoy reading everyone's posts; but I had to respond to this one.

Deion Sanders wife, Pilar, is a meanie?? icon_surprised.gif

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Quote:

Danny Glover
Gladys Knight
Elton John
Paul McCartney
Ethan Hawke

I'm loving this thread and enjoy reading everyone's posts; but I had to respond to this one.

Deion Sanders wife, Pilar, is a meanie?? icon_surprised.gif

I'm dying to know too....Pilar is evil??? Oh do tell my friend!!!

michellenj Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #23 of 26

She used to be really mean to the staff, and she yelled at me once, something about coffee.

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:58am
post #24 of 26

Wow...you guys are so lucky. And to think I thought I was officially in the big league when I made the 90th birthday cake for the owner of the biggest hardware store in town! I am indeed humbled.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #25 of 26

lol..I can never watch ballet again without thinking of this post!!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:25pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:

She used to be really mean to the staff, and she yelled at me once, something about coffee.

Wow!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%