My "oh Boy I Priced That One Wrong!" Story!!

Baking By indydebi Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm by GeminiRJ

indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 12

I just posted my Hello Kitty cookie. A large, national dept store ordered 50 of them for a special event. They had a very small budget (don't they all!) so I originally said I'd do a 2" round cookie and would draw Hello Kitty on it. 50 cookies for $100..... at $1/inch, that's in the price range ok.

Then I saw this really cool Hello Kitty cookie cutter on ebay. What the heck.....that would be impressive, so I ordered it. Holy crap, that thing arrives (from ASIA!) and it's one big honkin' cutter!!! But .... I rationalize it with the value of being able to say "As ordered by (nat'l dept store)". It's an advertising thing.

When baked up, these cookies are more than 4" across and between 3-4" tall! icon_eek.gif Ok, they're way bigger than originally planned, but it's an exposure thing. I'll consider it the prototype deal.

Then I start to decorate 'em. Now, I had just done 100 dog-bone shaped cookies for a wedding a week or two ago. It took me less than 2 hours to decorate the dog bones, so I figured these would take about the same time ... a little bigger, but only half the cookies.

What an idiot I am!!! There is a LOT of space to cover on these freakin' things!! icon_eek.gif I spent over 5 hours decorating these suckers!! I was tired, my back hurt, and I was cursing myself out over and over, reminding myself that when I post this story on CC, everyone will confirm what an idiot I am!

These cookies are officially $5 each from this day forward!!

So laugh away, gang! I deserve it!!!

11 replies
ccr03 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 12

oh, indydebi - you are human!!! I was bringing to wonder if you were really the Greek goddess of all things cake!!

okay, I'm going to laugh because God knows that's happened to me more than once!!

bakinccc Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 12

That's so funny and true!  Some cookies that I've never made before turn out to be larger than expected or more work than expected and I end up doing the same thing..."from this day forward, the price is higher on these things!" That's how I got into making a lot of my cutters so I get just the right size for the price I'm charging.

I hope you get lots of good exposure for all the work you did!!

Cakerer Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

Ya know, I love cookies but honestly, I'd rather make a cake any day. It takes me so freak'n long to decorate them - and consistency - well, we'll just leave that one untouched. I've never tried the bake, freeze and decorate later method so I may try that one day but kudos to you for seeing it thru. I can only imagine how your hands felt!

Cakerer Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 12

Forgot to ask...what did you use to decorate your cookies? They are so smooth...is that fondant or your famous recipe?

Solecito Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 12

I don't know if this helps you now, but when I make Hello Kitty cookies, I cut the ribon out of fondant, not like a bow but a 2D bow and stuck it to the icing before it dries. This speeds a lot the process.

lynnkay Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 12

I have soooo been there. When I was straight out of culinary school, a friend of a friend wanted all cookies for their wedding. 300 sugar cookies decorated with a lace pattern. But they couldn't find them for under a dollar. Well, what did I know, I could surely do them for 85 cents a piece, right???? I call the experience "death by cookie". I will never do a cookie wedding again unless it pays very well. Yikes.

kbrown99 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 12

I'm glad to see IndyDebi is human. When I first saw the post was from her, I was about to chide her because she's always the one telling us "no deals, not even for family/friends". Then I saw what it was about and I just had to say I'm grateful even she makes mistakes. We love you IndyDebi!!!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Then I saw this really cool Hello Kitty cookie cutter on ebay. What the heck.....that would be impressive, so I ordered it.

I do this ALL the time! icon_redface.gif "OHHHH! It's soo coool! I gotta have it for so and so's cake!"

Quote:

It's an advertising thing.

And then I do this to justify the purchase to hubby! icon_wink.gif

Quote:

I was tired, my back hurt, and I was cursing myself out over and over, reminding myself that when I post this story on CC, everyone will confirm what an idiot I am!

And then I do this when the dang-flabbed gadget doesn't work like I want it to! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:

So laugh away, gang! I deserve it!!!

We would never laugh at you Debi! We love you! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

yankeegal Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:01am
post #10 of 12

I would never laugh...all of your great advice helped me to raise my prices to where they should have been all along...Thanks is what I say!!

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

Forgot to ask...what did you use to decorate your cookies? They are so smooth...is that fondant or your famous recipe?

Long before I found CC, my daughter found this recipe somewhere on the 'net. I just keep adding water to get a good flowing consistency (you know ... the 'ole "until it looks right!" method! icon_rolleyes.gif ) I add some vanilla to it, too.

Royal Icing from Sugarbaker's
Makes 3 cups of base consistency icing

3 3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
3 T meringue powder
6 T warm water

Beat 4 to 5 minutes

GeminiRJ Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnkay

I call the experience "death by cookie".

LOVE this as it is so-o-o true! And it's nice to know that even seasoned decorators like indydebi have stepped in it like me! You aren't an idiot...just human...and still a role model for all of us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%