Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhh!! Burned Another 1 1/2 Lbs Of Sugar!!!!

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 3:29am by Cakepro

SweetResults Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

Trying to make the buttercream with the egg yolks and cooked sugar - my sugar crystallizes EVERY TIME!

I cook it slow, I cook it fast, I stir it, I don't stir it, I brush the sides down with water, doesn't matter - I get a lump of crystalized sugar EVERY TIME!!!!

1 1/2 lbs sugar with 1/2 cup water - gonna add it to 12 egg yolks and 2 lbs of butter, but I can't get that far icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Can someone come over and show me how to do this???????

5 replies
sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe it is just me, but that seems like not quite enough liquid for 1.5 lbs. of sugar.
I use 1/3 cup water per cup of sugar and I have never had a problem.
If there is too much sugar it will burn too fast.
Maybe try adding a bit more water next time and see if that helps?

I always cook mine on medium heat and keep the candy thermometer in (I have to with my crappy stove) and stir almost constantly.

Good luck!

SweetResults Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 6

That sounds right - I always wondered about the water, it never seemed like enough, I'm gonna increase the water and give it another try. I told my 10 year old that was my last try and I was giving up and he said "Mom, you CAN'T give up! Never give up!" LOL!

Thanks!

sadiepix Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 6

Good! Be sure to tell us if it works better this time!

Suewillo Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 6

my understanding is when you have the sugar and water on the stove you do not stir and you should have a bowl of water with a pastry brush so you can brush the sides of the pot every once in awhile to keep the sugar from crystallizes. This is what I do and I have never had it crystallize on me. Good luck.

Cakepro Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 6

Add a tablesoon or two of corn syrup. Corn syrup will prevent it from recrystalizing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%