Problem With Bc - No Trans Fat? Help!!!!

Decorating By SANZ Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm by SANZ

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 9

I have been using Sugarshack's BC and it is wonderful. I have 2 cakes this weekend and wanted to use that recipe. The first batch was more like CoolWhip in a tub (used Crisco). The 2nd batch too thin - didn't chance anything. 3rd batch a little better not great and used hi-ratio shortening. Went to my local cake store and he told me that Crisco is now - 0 trans fat and alot of decorators are having problems. Is anyone else in the same boat and is there anything I can do with the bad batches I already made?

8 replies
ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 9

How much liquid did you use in each batch? It sounds like that's the problem. And did I read correctly that you used hi-ratio in the third batch and it iddn't tur out much better?

My thought would be to add more PS if the consistency is too runny. I've only made Sugarshack's recipe with Crisco (0 trans fat) and didn't have any problems.

sueq63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueq63 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 9

Hi,

I too am having problems with the Crisco being trans fat free; I have been advised to use half Crisco and half butter. I have not tried it yet but I hear this works. I hope this helps and good luck.

Sincerely,
Sue aka Susie's Sweets

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

back off of the liquid (add more powder sugar to what you have)... you also want to add some meringue powder to the mix when using the new crisco. I just shake some in.. can't remember if it is a tsp or a Tbls in each batch....

I have also heard about the butter/crisco combo but haven't tried it

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 9

I consider any measurements in a recipe just a "suggestion". Icing too thick? Add more milk. Icing too thin? Add more sugar.

I never had a problem with the zero trans fat switch when it hit the shelves about a year ago (give or take). I never knew there was a problem until I read about it here on CC. Here's the only icing recipe I've ever used for the past 25 years. Never had a cake melt down ... no problems ever.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

SANZ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you both. As for the liquid I followed the recipe just like she has it posted. Matter of fact, because it was do runny, I added an additional 3 cups of PS and it was just sweeter. Even put it in the fridge thinking it would stiffen up - nope.

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 9

I use the 1/2 Crisco & 1/2 Butter recipe, and it always turns out great!

Here is the Recipe:
1/2 C. Crisco
1/2 C. Butter
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs Powdered Sugar
1/4 C. milk or water

Good Luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 9

Sugarshack's recipe calls for hiratio so that may be the problem (crisco). Indidebi's recipe works great and is very tasty.

SANZ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 9

When I get home from work I am going to try batch #4 and 5 with the 2 recipes listed in the forum. Wish me luck cause they are due tomorrow morning - 1st thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%