Advertisement Should I Decorate?

Business By sambugjoebear Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 4:52am by SandyLemke

sambugjoebear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 11

Sometime in the upcoming weeks I will be delivering "advertisement" cupcakes to various businesses around town. I was wondering how I should decorate them. Just a pretty little swirl on top, or should I decorate them with seasonal decos?

10 replies
miny Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 8:20am
post #2 of 11

Is this for advertisement of your own business? If so try to focus on your info, you can do a pretty swirl and focus on the wrapper because if you do seasonal stuff people just don't pay attention it's something seen and done but a delicious cupcake nobody can forget and you can always put a little note specifying what you can do in terms of decoration, just my opinion maybe someone else can give you other idea, HTH. thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:41am
post #3 of 11

Me? I'd put my edible image logo a small fondant plaque on each one. Maybe some simple drop flowers around that. Pretty and it puts your name in their face about as close as possible!

sambugjoebear Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the input. icon_smile.gif

vickster Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 11

I recently started doing a small lunch combo in my shop since it's located right down town. I offer a cupcake as part of my combo. For about 3 weeks now, the next day my husband takes the leftover cupcakes around to local businesses in boxes of a half dozen with a flyer about the lunch and my cakes. They are just a simple standard size cupcake with a swirl top and sprinkles. I do different sprinkles for the three flavors, chocolate, french vanilla and strawberry. For my business, it is the real buttercream frosting and the freshness of the cupcake that brings me business. I live in a low income area, the bulk of my business comes from people who want something fresher and of better quality than WalMart or the grocery store, but I will not be able to sell cup cakes for 3, 4 and 5 dollars each. What I am saying is, know your market, and know the market you are targetting. If your goal is high end "eye candy" cupcakes, then that's the way you need to market your samples. And make sure you take them to places where there are people who can afford and will spend money on that sort of thing. I have been officially open for business for 6 months now and can count on one hand how many fondant covered cakes I've done. I have done quite a lot of fondant decorations, but very few of my customers are willing or able to lay out the cash it takes to have a fondant covered cake. What I'm saying is, be a realist about your market. It's easier to work with the market that is there rather than try to create a new one. Although that is possible, it just takes a good bit of capital to be able to endure the process.

snarkybaker Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 11

Whenever we donate cupcakes to any function, we put a chocolate deco with our logo on it.

Tellis12 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 2:28am
post #7 of 11

What good ideas! I'm taking cupcakes to market next weekend and I've been wondering this same question.

melodyscakes Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 3:22am
post #8 of 11

vickster, that was awesome advice!

thanks for sharing!

and to the O.P. good luck on your cupcake advertisment!

sambugjoebear Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks Vickster and txcat!

Vickster- I'll definately keep your advice in mind when I'm ready to advertise. My market seems to be along the same lines as yours. Your lunch combo sounds like a great idea btw! icon_smile.gif I'd love to have a freshly made cupcake as an added treat to my meal.

poconogrl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:35am
post #10 of 11

where do you get those little logo candies??

SandyLemke Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #11 of 11

look up in your yellow pages "promotional products" and get bids from several of these vendors.

or google them.

you can buy m&ms with your logo on them but it's really small.

Quote by @%username% on %date%