Do Ya'll Give Family Discounts??

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm by lorrieg

BellaSweet Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 17

Do you give family( parents, siblings, cousins, immediate) discounts on your cakes? Wedding cakes? BIG wedding cakes? Even if you do it from home?

16 replies
PinkZiab Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 17

I don't ever charge my immediate family (parents, siblings) or my very closest friends, and honestly I don't charge my extended family most of the time either for birthday cakes and such, only if it is something really huge and involved (big wedding cake) but even then it's usually only for cost.

pmaucher Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 17

I dont charge my family or close friends for birthday cakes. The cake is part of my gift to them plus I get to try new things (flavors, techniques, etc) with their cakes. That way if I screw something up I just spend alittle more money on their gift and dont feel so bad or have to start over. icon_twisted.gif

KoryAK Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 17

25% happy family discount itemized on the invoice.

sweettoothmom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 17

I dont charge family it is our gift to them. Now if they wanted a very specific gigantic cake I might have to ask them to help with the supply charges. But nothing for my efforts. Its family.

Karema Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 17

This may sound mean but I charge everyone. I give my family a small discount like 15%. Thats it. They seem to respect that because this is my business. I have a large family and I'm married and my husband has a huge family. I cant make free cakes for everyone. I would go broke. If I go to an event and they ask me to bring something I cook a dish or bring cupcakes if I feel like baking. They know where I stand and they dont want to take advantage of me or take food out of my kids mouth. They appreciate the discount and if they dont order from me I really dont care. Just less work for me to do.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 17

If they ask me to make a cake, they pay for it. If I offer to do it they get it for free. I do give them their birthday cakes free, as I do my close friend's kids cake, as part of my gift to them. But free cakes I have the choice of design.

I do alot of cakes for my SIL to take places, I don't have the money laying around to make free cakes for her to take somewhere just cause she is family.

I did my brother and SIL's wedding cake at cost, as my gift to them.

I wanted to add my free cakes are usually birthday cakes, and only go to my grandma, parents, bothers, SIL, nephew, my best friend of 12 years and her two kids.

I have too many cousins with kids to start giving away free things to them when we rarely speak outside of holidays.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 17

All my nieces/nephews are now at marrying age, so I give them the wedding cake as my gift if they want it. Some opt to go another route and that is so-ok-fine with me. The offer is there if they want it. It's a rare occasion that I get to be just a guest at a wedding anymore, so when I can, I take the time to enjoy it!!

All other cakes and/or family members .... depends on what mood I"m in and if they've pi$$ed me off lately or not.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #9 of 17

P.S. All of my free or discounted cakes to family come with a condition:

"If I start getting a Bridezilla (or relative-zilla!) attitude from you, then you get an invoice for the full amount from me!"

Mac Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #10 of 17

Same as TexasSugar--if I offer, it's free.

On another note--my best friend has 2 girls that are 19 and 22. They already know that I am doing their wedding cakes (when the time comes). If I choose the design and what I want to do, it's my gift to them. If they have a specific cake--it becomes an order and I charge. They can tell me the colors and a general idea but the design and finished product will be ALL MINE!

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 17

That is a good point. I had not thought of cousins etc coming out of the woodwork on you like that. i have not had an issue with the non-immediate relatives as yet. How do I handle this now?

Oh floppy fondant batman what am I gonna do now?

HannahLass Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:27am
post #12 of 17

I'm lucky that I don't have a big family. Many of the orders I have taken (This isn't a business as sorts, its a hobby people pay for) have been from family and luckily none of them have expected the cake for free. I did a nemo cake (it's in my pictures) for my cousins little boys birthday and quoted £20/$40 pretty much cost with all the work involved but I was very happy to do it for that. As it lets other people see my work ( I got another order for a $140 cake from it) and they gave me double Totally unexpected and showed they apreciated my hard work. My prices start at $50/ £25 over here and people seem happy to pay it. Each cake is different, the customers giving me a general idea and letting me go with it.
Some cakes I do for free, If I offer to make the cake like Mac I'll do it for free. Immediate family cakes Mum Dad Brother are just from me no charge. Although my mum often wants to pay for them. Im not taking her money for them seeing as I still live at home lol.
HanX

HannahLass Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:42am
post #13 of 17

I'm lucky that I don't have a big family. Many of the orders I have taken (This isn't a business as sorts, its a hobby people pay for) have been from family and luckily none of them have expected the cake for free. I did a nemo cake (it's in my pictures) for my cousins little boys birthday and quoted £20/$40 pretty much cost with all the work involved but I was very happy to do it for that. As it lets other people see my work ( I got another order for a $140 cake from it) and they gave me double Totally unexpected and showed they apreciated my hard work. My prices start at $50/ £25 over here and people seem happy to pay it. Each cake is different, the customers giving me a general idea and letting me go with it.
Some cakes I do for free, If I offer to make the cake like Mac I'll do it for free. Immediate family cakes Mum Dad Brother are just from me no charge. Although my mum often wants to pay for them. Im not taking her money for them seeing as I still live at home lol.
HanX

lovely Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:55am
post #14 of 17

I try to make them free but my Nanna always gives me money. It's crazy. She gets mad if I don't take the money and I only do it as a hobby. Something to do. I have a big family so I figured I would make cakes as a gift (my family do lots of crafty things like signature bears, quilts etc...) and they get gifts handmade with love and we all love it but for some reason Nan thinks I should be paid. I don't think I would make free cakes outside my family (but just a hobby so biggie). I have to pay 20 for a mud cake from the bakery so other people would to.
HTH
Leigh

karenm0712 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:00am
post #15 of 17

Birthday cakes for my immediate family are free. Before I ventured into cake decorating - more than just a bundt cake w/poured icing - my hubby and I would ALWAYS buy the cake for birthday dinners. I knew with his side of the family they would go to Kroger or Busken's, etc. for cake and I just couldn't have that so off to Servatti's (YUMM) I would go to order all cakes. So yeah, for birthdays free and my choice - but for all others they are going to have to pay but I will offer a discount. icon_biggrin.gif

BellaSweet Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 17

thanks guys so much. I don't feel it's necessary to give everyone a discount. But I just didn't wanna feel bad about not giving one.

lorrieg Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #17 of 17

I do the same as Indydebi. If it's my gift to the couple I get them to give me some suggestions and then the final design is my choice. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%