Does Anyone Actually Get Business From Their Myspace Page?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm by something_sweet

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 8

I was reading a post regarding advertising via MySpace and a member ( I cannot for the life of me remember who it was) said they get most of their business via Myspace and I wonder if that is common? I have a page with some friends and mostly family on it and I mention that I like to decorate but there is no real attempt to grab business or anything.....

Do you guys convert your page to an advertising page? Do local people actually email you regarding cake orders? If so, do you put a link to your website (if applicable) or just post basic prices on the Myspace site?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

7 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 8

Funny you should mention that. I just added a myspace page and got an order!

I should mention though that the order was my godfather's daughter who didn't know I did cakes. A lot of my myspace friend don't know it, so in that aspect it helped.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 8

So did you just add a Myspace page with the focus on advertising or did you blend it with your family stuff? Also, did you give a little example of pricing? Because my problem is everyone wants huge 14" square cakes for $40 bucks, lol. So I like to put my pricing out there so they can get an idea of whether or not they can afford me.

Congrats on the order! icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 8

No pricing on MySpace. I do include on there however, a link to my regular site.

To build my 'friend' list I requested all of my personal family and friends and all of my current customers that I could find.

I'll PM you my site so you can see what I did.

Juny1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juny1980 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 8

Hi CakeDiva73,

I, too, created a MySpace page for my cakes. I already had a personal page with friends/family, but wanted one specifically to advertise my cakes...totally seperate from all the other fluff that people write on my other page. I'm still working on the page and haven't added prices to it, but I agree..it's important you give an idea to people of what your cakes run, so they know what to expect. I'm not Wal-Mart, that's for sure!!! icon_lol.gif

Since I've opened that page, I've received about 2 or 3 orders...so it does help! Check out my page...the link is below in my signature...and request me as a friend if you'd like too thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 8

I created a myspace page about a year ago when I first started decorating...and about 60% of my business comes from Myspace users. It really helps because of the networking, i did it before I created a website on Freewebs.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 8

Actually, unintentionally, yes. I have our cakes posted just so family and friends can see what we create, and through friends of friends we've gotten several requests. We do not advertise because we are not a business, but we still enjoy helping people out when they need a cake!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 8

I haven't gotten any business from my MS page. I am not on it very much, but I never get messages or friend requests. Kivia said about networking on myspace... I have even had a hard time finding other cake decorators period, let alone people who want to order cake.

www.myspace.com/cakes_by_brooke

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%