How To Make This Bc Crust / More Stable?

Decorating By TNugs Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm by indydebi

TNugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TNugs Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to this forum and new to cake decorating. This is the buttercream that i used last year and I really like the taste. The only problem is it gets really soft after sitting out a bit and my decorations don't stay. How can I get this to be more stable and crust more? Or is it not possible? I really want a BC that isn't too sweet, but doesn't taste like shortening and tastes more like a meringue BC. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

1 cup shortening
1 cup butter
5 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons clear imitation vanilla extract
4 fluid ounces heavy cream

4 replies
grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

With 1 cup butter and 1 cup shortening I use a 2 pound bag of sugar (approximately 8 cups). You may also have to adjust the amount of milk that you use. I just eyeball it and go by how thick the icing is. You'll get the hang of it.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 5

My buttercream recipe is very simlilar. I use 2 pounds of powdered sugar and 6 to 8 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and I do add 2 heaping teaspoons of meringue powder that helps to stabilize for heat and humidity I also don't use salt I use salted butter.

Jibbies

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 5

I use a similar recipe, and I've had that problem too since it's hot and humid. I switched to using 1/2 hi ratio shortening and an icing stabilizer (2 tsp for every 1 cup of shortening). My icing turned out beautiful. I made it Wednesday and looked at it yesterday and it's not breaking down.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 5

My opinion is too much fat. I use 1-1/3 cups fat (all crisco) to 2 lbs p.sugar. I've never had a melt down, never had roses slide, no problems.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%