Fondant Help Please!!!

Decorating By mommabaker Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm by xstitcher

mommabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabaker Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 13

I need some what I feel is probably basic help on using fondant. I am trying to create a wedding dress cake using the wonder mold pan and the doll pick. the cake is mainly for a centerpiece and since it's my first time ever trying fondant I decided to go the the Wilton ready made stuff. Last night I tried covering the doll pick with black fondant like I have seen many ladies on here do and it did not go so well. I have read that I need to use confectioner's sugar to keep the fondant from sticking but with black fondant and white sugar it just looked bad. Once I got it rolled out I tried wrapping the doll pick and could not get it to look smooth, it kept tearing and was just overall a big mess. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. How do I get the fondant to stick to the doll pick because it would just fall off. Do I need to use buttercream or something on the doll pick before I use the fondant.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Brandy

12 replies
SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 13

I have never worked with the doll pick so I can't help with that. The Wilton fondant though I found hard to work with. It has to be a bit thicker than the other brands. I'm not sure exactly how thick, maybe 1/4 inch at least. If the pick (which I have no idea about) is put into the top of a rounded cake, cover the cake with buttercream. That will keep the fondant in one spot. I just worked with black also and didn't think about the ps sticking to it and making it look bad. Try rubbing crisco on your board or whatever you're rolling it out on. It shouldn't stick and will add a bit of sheen to it. I hope some of this helps.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 13

Make sure you knead your fondant very well before you use it...it should be pliable and not sticky. Definitely roll out the fondant with shortening instead of powdered sugar. You need to put something onto your pick for the fondant to stick to...I would use piping gel but you could also use a light mist of water or even a little crisco. Keep at it and you'll get it icon_smile.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 13

Girl....I can definately feel your pain! I have done 2 of those stupid @#*&! cakes and the first one I took literally one hour to get the fondant bodice on the doll. I had the hardest time...I would try to press the fondant to get it to stick and it would thin out the fondant over her boobs and they would start to show through and then I would have to start over again. The second one went a little easier, I think I just wet the body with a little water (a very small amount applied with a thin paint brush) and I rolled the fondant a little thicker to allow for "press-age" Oh, and I added gum-tex to the fondant (didnt know about that the first time). I think it helped the fondant be a little more pliable and dry harder.

I wish someone would make a cutter that cuts out perfect little tops that will fit the dolls. I did buy a barbie doll clothes pattern and I plan on tracing the pattern piece for the top to make a template for the next time to see if that will be a little easier.

mommabaker Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 13

Yayadesigns you described my night perfectly. How much gum tex do you add?

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I can't wait to get home from work to try again! I refuse to let a little doll get the best of me!!!

Brandy

yayadesigns Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 13

I dont really measure on the gum-tex. I am sure there is probably some correct ratio or correct way to do it. But I just put a little spoonful in the middle of my fondant and then just knead it really good until all of the powder is absorbed.

yayadesigns Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 13

I dont really measure on the gum-tex. I am sure there is probably some correct ratio or correct way to do it. But I just put a little spoonful in the middle of my fondant and then just knead it really good until all of the powder is absorbed.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:59am
post #8 of 13

add gumtex 1 tsp per 12 oz of fondant

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 13

I am making one of these for a hen party next week!
Having read how tricky you are finding it to make the fondant stick to the headless pick, why not make a doll form from scratch? If you take some black fondant and add some cmc/tylose. Roll it into a sort of cone shape and then flatten off the bottom (i.e. where it will join the top of the cake) Start to mould out 2 boobs and 2 small arm/shoulder joins. I'm attaching a pic to show you what I mean as it's impossible to describe!!
Good luck
Jenny
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabaker

I need some what I feel is probably basic help on using fondant. I am trying to create a wedding dress cake using the wonder mold pan and the doll pick. the cake is mainly for a centerpiece and since it's my first time ever trying fondant I decided to go the the Wilton ready made stuff. Last night I tried covering the doll pick with black fondant like I have seen many ladies on here do and it did not go so well. I have read that I need to use confectioner's sugar to keep the fondant from sticking but with black fondant and white sugar it just looked bad. Once I got it rolled out I tried wrapping the doll pick and could not get it to look smooth, it kept tearing and was just overall a big mess. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. How do I get the fondant to stick to the doll pick because it would just fall off. Do I need to use buttercream or something on the doll pick before I use the fondant.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Brandy

Hi Brandy,

I haven't used it myself but have read somewhere on here that you may want to try using a very light coating of shortening to roll your fondant on, some use cornstarch or a mixture of PS and cornstarch (or so I have read) and to remove the "white" marks they have used a little bit of shortening and rub it on to make it absorb into the fondant.

HTH!

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 13

Just apply a "little bit" of corn syrup with a little brush before proceeding to apply the fondant. Hope this helps! And don't forget to knead the fondant well until is pliable. I always apply a little bit of Crisco before kneading and once and put some corn starch or confectioners sugar on the table before starting to roll it. Once it's ready to cover the cake I slowly roll it over the rolling pin (towards me) and keep applying the powder as I roll it over. Good Luckthumbs_up.gif

mommabaker Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 13

thanks to everyone for all your help! I am so pleased with how the cake turned out. It was a big hit at the shower!!
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 13

Great job it turned out fantastic!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%