Transporting A Tiered Cake??

Decorating By dabear Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm by leah_s

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 12

My friend wants to pick up the cake, how many of you send a tiered cake with someone else already stacked? The tiers are 6 & 8 rounds. She wants the cake today for a party tomorrow. Do you guys think it would be better if I take her the cake? I am so nervous about that!

How many wood dowels should I use? Or should I use the large plastic ones? Should I use a wood dowel down the center of the cake? I don't have any of those boba tea stras and I do not haave those sps/spf systems.

It's b/c with fondant accents. So there are a lot of side decorations. Luau/under the sea theme.

11 replies
LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 12

I send stacked cakes with people all the time. I tell them ahead of time to have a flat surface to put the cake. I also usually buy some of that rubbery shelf liner you can buy in rolls, and cut a piece to place under the cake so it doesn't slide around in their car.

I usually use the wooden dowels and place between 4 and 6 around it, and then one through the middle so the top tier doesn't slide too.

Knock on wood I've yet to have a problem. I even sent one cake from Northern Virginia to Southern North Carolina and it made it safe and sound!

I take pictures of all my cakes, so I know what it looks like before it leaves my hands... after that, it's on the person who ordered the cake icon_smile.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 12

Actually, I send 2 tier cakes off all the time with customers and do not have problems.

Dowel it as recommended (SugarShack) and for extra support sharpen a wooden dowel and put it through both tiers and the base board as well. That will help prevent slipping.

I do recommend to my customers to have some one hold it and not set it in the floor (if possible).

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 12

You have to dowel any cake that has cake setting on top of it. I always put a center dowel in the cake and chill it. I always use wooden dowels and I would put 6 dowels in the 8" cake. I wouldn't worry about her picking the cake up....I've sent 4 teir cakes with customers. Just give her a small piece of non-skid mat and set it in her floor board for her. That way you know it's secure and always check and make sure something can't go flying off the seat or what not and land on the cake.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 12

Ditto what everyone else is saying - two tiers are usually fine. Three tiers (or more)...I deliver! thumbs_up.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 12

I deliver all my cakes so this isn't an issue for me.

Jibbies

dabear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 12

Thank-you for your input! I will let her pick it up! I really need to get sugarshacks stacking video. I have her other two videos..

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 12

I do it all the time! I always place a dowel through the center and make sure it is well chilled. Never had a problem yet!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 12

Having it well chilled is definitely a good point! Especially if you use real butter in the bc - it just helps it set up well and be really firm for transport.

dabear Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 12

I don't think it will fit in my refrigerator. icon_sad.gif It is so small.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabear

I don't think it will fit in my refrigerator. icon_sad.gif It is so small.

Just a piece of advice and what I recommend to all of my customers. It is NOT a good idea to let someone hold the cake. Legs move, unintentionally of course, and arms get tired. The best place to transport a cake is on a flat surface...wether it be a floor board (if it's dirty just put some papertowels under the non-skid piece) or back of an SUV. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 12

I let customers pick up 3 tiers or less. But I use SPS so i don"t have to worry about the cake making the trip>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%