Ganache All Over Cake?

Decorating By Briniga Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 5:31am by ceshell

Briniga Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #1 of 13

When I'm putting ganache on the entire cake, do I pour it all over it, to cover it, or is there a different way? Also am I supposed to put frosting on the cake first then cover it with ganache? Thanks

12 replies
ceshell Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:58am
post #2 of 13

You can pour it all over for sure. Put the cake on a wire rack over a cookie sheet to collect the runoff and save that for some serious snacking. You can also wait till it's room temperature and then spread it on like thick buttercream. I personally prefer to wait till it's room temp, then I whip it till it lightens in color (often that is only 10-30 seconds) and then spread that on. If you use a high % of chocolate like I do, you might find that it goes on rather thick and firm and needs help (food-safe gloves and warm hands) to get it onto your cake. The two-snowman cake in my gallery was iced in whipped ganache.

Whether you choose to frost first or just pour it onto the cake is up to you. I have never poured on an entire layer cake but I would expect that because the poured ganache is thinner than whipped ganache, it is less likely to cover all the lumps and bumps. A smooth bc underneath would solve that problem and I know it is used often. For a better flavor match you could do whipped ganache as the icing and then pour some over it for that nifty, shiny poured chocolate effect.

Here's a site with tons of great info on using ganache: b aking 911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm - paste the text into your browser and take out the spaces in b aking 911 in order to make that link work.

Good luck!

ceshell Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:31am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briniga

Thank you soooo much, one more question...I looked at that link & what does it mean when it says 1 part or 2 part...what does part mean?

They just mean, a quantity relative to the other quantity i.e. a ratio. Ganache for truffles is really thick so usually 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream...meaning if you use 16 oz chocolate, you'd use 8 oz cream. Ganache for icing is usually made on a 1:1 ratio - 1 part chocolate to 1 part cream. If you have 16oz chocolate you'd use 16oz (2 cups) cream. That means ganache is so simple to make in any quantity...equal parts cream and chocolate.

Well unless you are making white chocolate ganache, which uses a lower ratio of cream to chocolate...oops maybe I shouldn't add to the confusion icon_biggrin.gif

Briniga Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:34am
post #4 of 13

Haha well actually I am going to be using white chocolate this time, only cuz I wanna color it, not sure what to use to color it. But yea all that was alittle confusing, but I will reread it to understand it, I wish they would say cups or tablespoons instead of parts, its so confusing, thanks for your help.

ceshell Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:47am
post #5 of 13

Haha, ok white chocolate, the one exception! Too funny. I don't know the ratio for white chocolate as I've never made it. But the good news is, normally when you seek out an actual recipe they will indeed give you specific measurements. The parts/ratio info is more of a technical specification since they are trying to explain the science behind it. So I think you'll be OK when you search for a white chocolate ganache recipe.

To color white chocolate ganache be sure to use candy colors as they are oil-based. Candy colors are available at Michael's/etc.

Briniga Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 13

Ok I will, thank you for all the help icon_smile.gif

Briniga Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 13

One more thing...if Im going to be using colored chocolate, for instance I bought lavender colored chocolate, do I just use that with heavy cream? Or do I use the white chocolate mixed with the colored chocolate I bought? Dumb question I know...

Antgirl Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:36am
post #8 of 13

I pour it on a whole cake. I wait until the ganache has cooled (and thickened just a bit, so it won't just run right off and can be guided with an offset spatula), AND I make sure the cake is very cold. You can do a "crumb coat" first and put that in the fridge to let it firm up, then go back and pour again for a final smooth coat. When I'm doing it this way, I use the ratio 13 c chocolate chips : 8 c heavy cream. (Boil the heavy cream and pour over the chips). I add a couple tablespoons of corn syrup or butter to give it some sheen. The snowflake cake in my gallery is very popular and that's how I made that one. HTH

ceshell Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briniga

One more thing...if Im going to be using colored chocolate, for instance I bought lavender colored chocolate, do I just use that with heavy cream? Or do I use the white chocolate mixed with the colored chocolate I bought? Dumb question I know...

Unfortunately I can't help you on that one! I don't know what colored chocolate is, but I would assume it is either white chocolate, or it is candy melts (which are not actually chocolate). Check the ingredients, if it's white chocolate then I'd think you would just use a white chocolate ganache recipe, if it's candy melts you might want to search the forums on how to make ganache out of candy melts.

ceshell Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:22am
post #11 of 13

Aha, that makes them candy melts. You might want to start a new thread in the forums: "Can I use candy melts to make ganache?" (and include that link to the product you bought) since someone with that knowledge might not happen to notice this thread which is more about getting the ganache on the cake. I myself have no clue icon_redface.gif

Briniga Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:28am
post #12 of 13

What?? Your supposed to know!! haha kidding, ok I just made a new thread about it...thanks for all your help!! icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:31am
post #13 of 13

Haha, now i am going to go over to that thread and click "watch this topic" so that I WILL know the answer for next time LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%