I Need Help With Cake Boss Program

Business By Carlachef Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm by teenycakes

Carlachef Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:29am
post #1 of 12

I just got the Cake Boss program 2 days ago. problem is I have a new computer with Vista. I followed the instructions for Vista and still cant get in. I know the couple just had a baby and are taking time off but I really need help. Can anyone help me?? Please???

11 replies
shanasweets Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 7:11am
post #2 of 12

I just had to reinstall my cakeboss on new computer. It has vista. I still had to do the install for the extra download. Can't think of it at this moment. But it worked fine. I did go under the directions specifically for vista, . I don't have my computer with me a this moment. If you are still having trouble tomarrow evening when I get up I will try to post more. I work nights, and won't be awake until fri. eve.

Carlachef Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks so much. Maybe you can call me and help. I would really really appreciate it. No matter what time. 773-719-5509. Thanks, Carla

DebBTX Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:23am
post #4 of 12

Carla,
Were you able to get your Cake Boss software working?

-Debbie B.

Carlachef Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 12

Thankyou, I was able to get it installed. Whats next? Whats the best way to get started?? I'm trying not to bother Kelley too much.
Carlachef

shanasweets Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 10:39am
post #6 of 12

I started by adding my receipes. then I made a "test" customer. Here I gave the "test " customer different cakes, like 9x 13, 8 in round, 1 receipe of cookies, ect. that way I could start seeing what my cost are for various things. I did not add any hourly wage to any of it though. I did add things like box, board etc. I did each thing on a line.

Example:
9 x 13
cake ingredients
icing ingredients
filling
board/ box
fondant accent.

this way I could see the breakdown for things, and judge easier the amount of things. hope this helps, good luck.

I don't have a business yet, but plan on starting when I get moved. there I can run one out of my home, so I am still in planning phase.

Carlachef Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so so much. You've been a big help. Good luck in starting your business. I've been working from my home for a while now. I am also a Wilton Method Instructor. I'm hopeing that the Cake Boss will help me be more profitable.
Thankyou again, Carlachef

DebBTX Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 12

I started by making a paper list of every single ingredient, disposible, etc. that I could think of. I then went to the source; Sam's, the grocery store or online to get the size and price of each thing.

I broke down the cost to what would be a normal amount. For example, the flour at Sam's Club might be 25 lbs, so I did the math to get the price per cup. If it was an online package of 6 cake drums that were all 12" size, then I would divide it to know the price for just 1. (For online items don't forget you had to pay shipping, ect.)

When I had my price list ready, I then added my recipes into Cake Boss.
I have saved my price list and update it ever so often.

I practiced using cakes that I had actually done for free for friends and family members. You just use the discount option to bring the total to 0, if needed.
I have realized that if one of the offered reasons for the discount, or the type of cake isn't yours, you can type in what you want to say.

By using a real cake that I have already done, it has given me a valuable lesson on how much I actually spent doing that cake. I also have a good idea about how long it took to finish. It also provided a recorded memory of me doing a certain cake.
If I do that cake, or one similar in the future, I will have a good idea of what the estimate would be. With prices going up on ingredients it wouldn't be exact, but it would show me a starting "ball park" amount.

I appreciate the program making me rethink why I do things the way I do them. I needed a way to sort through and organize my thinking.

Have fun with your new software. icon_biggrin.gif

-Debbie B.

Carlachef Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you Debbie B

teenycakes Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 12

I was wondering if there is a master table in the Cake Boss program for entering you costs. I just downloaded the program yesterday, but it appears as though you have to input each ingredient and manually calculate its cost for each recipe.

I understand you'd have to input the ingredients, but where's the master table for inputting cost info. Do you have to manually calculate and input the costs for each recipe? I've been calculating costs in Excel, but bought this program so I could automatically calc them in Cake Boss and use some of the other features. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

TeenyCakes

QueenBee1 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 12

I created a "Master Recipe" in Cake Boss where I list every ingredient that I use in my recipes along with their associated cost per cup or Tbsp or ounce, etc. That way, as I enter each new recipe, the cost is automatically pulled in for me. There's no need to manually enter the cost for each recipe ingredient as you enter a new recipe. Also, this way as you update the costs in your "Master Recipe", the costs will update in each of your recipes. Just be careful to use the same unit of measurement in your recipe as you use in the master. Even things like using "cup" in one and "cups" in the other will prevent your cost from being uploaded.

Hope this helps!

teenycakes Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 12

QueenBee1,

Thanks so much for your help. I created a Master Table too. I'm now inputting all of my recipes. It's going to take a while.

TeenyCakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%