Too Nice??? No More Favors!

Decorating By poconogrl Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 1:31am by seasonsmoke

poconogrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poconogrl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:57am
post #1 of 34

Hi quick note Im new to the site and yes Im already addicted

Ive been a professional chef for 9 years and just started doing cakes and such.

My very first order was from apersonal friends mother who wanted a chocolate cake for a b-day party. She said it was for about 9 people so it wasnt really a huge deal. She did specify she wanted a cherry filling and cherry cordials on top but basically as dark a chocolate as possible.

The day before the party I made the cakes and hand wade the cherry cordials. I figured id have plenty of time to decorate since it was a simple design. It was three layers of a dark cherry filling ans for added panache I added a little Godivas dark chocolate liquor.

I get to the house and all I have to do is set the cordials on top. I walk in and she is heading out to pick up her dry cleaning. Im like oh Ill hurry.
She walks out sayin my friends kids are here and would I be a dear and watch them for 10 mins. Now mind you this is my friends mother and Ive watched the kids a million times so I say ok. 4 kids ages 13,9,4,13mths.

THREE HOURS later!!! she calls asking if I can take the cake to the resturant instead. Im like ummmm and your grandkids???? And she is like oh take them home. icon_mad.gif IM ticked off but Im not gonna curse out grandma in front of the kids ha ha.

So I put the cordials on the cake load up the kids take them home and get to the resturant. She takes the cake says wow took you a while and walks off. icon_mad.gif

The next day she calls me saying the cake was delicious but it was to nice therefore not what she asked for WTF ?!?!?!? Mind you this was a free cake jeeze icon_mad.gif Some people I just dont get.

33 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 34

WOW! I would have been very irritated, to say the least. I guess some people are just wired different. I've had a few people act like that. And what's really bad was that I was related to them, so I had to bite my tongue =(

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:11am
post #3 of 34

WOW! My jaw was dropping as I was reading this!! Some people just lack common sense! You did her a favor and she talks to you like that! She has a lot of nerve! Im sorry this had to happen to you!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #4 of 34

Wow.

If it were me, she would be on my "NO CAKE" list from now on!!! That is as rude as they come. Sorry you had to go through that!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:12am
post #5 of 34

I really cannot believe the nerve of some people. Leaving the children with you for 3 hours?? What the heck is that? And the lack of gratitude over a cake which sounds like it was absolutely delicious. The fact that it was free is even beside the point. She should have thanked you left and right for helping her out with her grandkids and making a wonderful (and free) cake.

Sorry you had that experience. Are you going to say something to her daughter about it?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #6 of 34

So this battle axe wanted a cake that wasn't very nice?! That's a new concept. "I'm not happy with my cake because it was too nice. Didn't you understand that I only ordered a mediocre cake?" I never cease to be amazed at what absolute oafs some people can be. It's too bad you tried to do a nice thing and got taken advantage of. It'd sure be the last free cake she ever got out of me!! You wasted good liquour on this woman!!!

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:17am
post #7 of 34

I'm just sorry that you went to so much trouble. I find it astounding that people have no concept of the time involved in even the most simple cake. I had someone ask me the other day, why it took so long to do a cake?, it's not like I had to bake the cake. I asked them who they thought made the cakes? They said, I assumed you just decorated them. I was thinking it would be great if a little cake fairy came at night and left me baked and crumb coated cakes sitting on my counter, ready for a few HOURS worth of decorating. I'm not Walmart! You should send her there next time, and save yourself the frustration, but you might want to stress that they don't babysit or deliver. ; )

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:25am
post #8 of 34

I would have eaten the cake myself, sold the kids into slavery and gone home.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:28am
post #9 of 34

Maybe you should send her a bill. Not for the cake but for the babysitting. 4 kids at $15/hr....at least get some of your money back for the cake. LOL!

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:29am
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

OMG!!!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

Maybe you should send her a bill. Not for the cake but for the babysitting. 4 kids at $15/hr....at least get some of your money back for the cake. LOL!

This would be priceless!!!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:40am
post #12 of 34

Good heavens...this woman is a clod. I hope her daughter, your friend, is NOTHING like this pushy, obnoxious woman. I wouldn't make a cake for her again EVER no matter what.

Hugs to you...it sounded absolutely delicious.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 4:55am
post #13 of 34

I woulda charged for for babysitting and for gasoline! She's got some nerve!!

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:08am
post #14 of 34

Just count your blessings that You are not the one related to her! Can you imagine having her as a mother, rather be in foster care! And you can feel good that you gave it your best...even if it is like throwing pearls to pigs.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #15 of 34

chutzpah wrote:

OMG, you sure have patience, I would've taken the kids home and taken the cake home with me and then bill her for my time not to mention tell her a few words UNGRATEFUL "B" Oh chutzpah had me rolling icon_biggrin.gif

poconogrl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 5:47am
post #16 of 34

Well her daughter (I found out after) is the black sheep of the family cause she is so laid back.

Ok the youngest boy did decide to whip it out and pee on grandmas couch did I clean it HECK NO!! At least I have the knowledge that here 1200 leather couch has a pp stain. BAD I KNOW

After words I did tell her daughter and she said " yeah my mom is b*#chy" I told her well warn me next time ! LOL

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 6:22am
post #17 of 34

omg! don't you DARE let there be a next time for that woman! I say send her a bill for babysitting AND for the "too nice" cake AND for delivery AND for taxi fare for those kids... grrr I'd have given her a piece of mind, because it's obvious she has lost hers...
MAN! some people! icon_mad.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #18 of 34

chutzpah, you kill me!!

As for the birthday B* had she done this to me she would have celebrated without a cake but would have a bill for babysitting! 3hrs to get dry cleaning?

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:11am
post #19 of 34

OK, this woman has some nerve... She should definitley be on the "no cake" list.

But can I ask (from a mom's point of view) if you had the appropriate car seats/boosters for the 4 yo and 13 mo? And if you knew how to install them properly? If I was this lady's daughter, I would be fuming if my mom put the kids in danger for any reason... I am such a mom that THIS is the first thig I think of in this situation.

poconogrl Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:26am
post #20 of 34

I drive a mini van with 3 rows of seating.
The 4 yr old was securely fastened in the center in a convertable booster
The 13mth old was securely fastened in the middle row center in a Graco rear facing infant seat. The youngest (my god daughter) was seated next to the 13 mth old on the drivers side. Insurace safety tests say that side is least likely to be hit. While the teen was in the very back drivers side next to the toddler.(Although he complained the whole time so Im thinking next time he is tied to the hood) I drive the kids to zoos and trips. Ive known them since it was only the oldest 2. Their grandma I had just met. She had recently moved there. Oh yeah! My little one was safely "baking" in my tummy at the time LOL

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #21 of 34

People who are so into themselves should be locked up in a room full of mirrors where they can be happy with themselves & then everybody is happy.

bafishr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bafishr Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 9:53am
post #22 of 34

Chutzpah, you crack me up

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 10:18am
post #23 of 34

You're a better person than I am. I don't like anyone that much.

I would have cut the cake and served it to the kids with a soda washdown, then dropped them off at the restaurant - without washing the chocolate cake off their faces.

Can you say "Sugar Buzz?" icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 8:26pm
post #24 of 34

That woman is a user. Sounds like my step-daughter's mother. She uses people until they get sick of her and then she moves on to her next victim. The really maddening thing is that she's sees nothing wrong with the way she treats people, but then she lives in world where it's all about her.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:21pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

icon_eek.gif LOLOLOLOLOL!

She is the top of the "NO CAKE" list!

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #26 of 34

After rolling on the floor for at least 5 minutes, LOL, all I can say is think what might have happened if it had been a wedding cake? Would she have wanted you to set up the tents?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

So this battle axe wanted a cake that wasn't very nice?! That's a new concept. "I'm not happy with my cake because it was too nice. Didn't you understand that I only ordered a mediocre cake?" I never cease to be amazed at what absolute oafs some people can be. It's too bad you tried to do a nice thing and got taken advantage of. It'd sure be the last free cake she ever got out of me!! You wasted good liquour on this woman!!!

I am sorry, I know this is a serious conversation (the woman should be brought to the Cake Firing Squad..you know, have her blind folded and throw cake at her) but I love it. "I want a mediocre cake please!" hahahahahahahahaha! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #28 of 34

Welcome to Cake Central. We are happy to have you. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sorry you were treated so badly. The cake sounded delicious.

Now you are a part of "As the Cake Turns". icon_lol.gif
Aren't people amazing?

-Debbie B.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:03am
post #29 of 34

Do you think it was it too nice, so she couldn't claim that she made it herself?

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:14am
post #30 of 34

oh my thats crazy you had every right to be upset. I know we all have a tendency to do favors for our friends but sometimes it just goes too far. I have also done favors that have been described as too nice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%