Just Another Reason To Take Cake Pics.

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 16 Aug 2008 , 12:21am by mkolmar

mkolmar Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 13

I have a request to make bridal shower cake with the same decorating technique I did for her cousins first communion cake on the side of the cake. Then she mentioned something about wanting the folds of the cake to be in pink though. HUH? What folds, it was a buttercream cross shaped cake. I'm so confused about this. Her aunt who is ordering the cake for her niece was confused also. It was her son (the nieces cousin) who I made the cake for and she has pictures she's getting developed so I can see what I did.

Just another reason to take pictures of all of your cakes, even the small ones.

12 replies
charlieinMO Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 13

Oh man!! Good point! I don't always take pictures either! I wonder if you did a border around it that looked like the ruffle look and she called it a fold? Good luck and hope she gets ya the picture!

lu9129 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 13

I never thought of it this way. If I didn't like the way a cake came out I don't take pictures. But the customer will rave about it. I'm glad you brought this up.

CakesByLJ Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 13

That is an excellent point... I also make sure I fill out a form for every cake I do that includes details, and flavors/fillings/icings... folks will sometimes request that "wonderful cake you made for Sally's birthday"; and who can remember what you did 4 months ago... icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Jocmom Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 13

I never thought about documenting the flavor combinations. I had someone recently request "that cake you made with the filling" . . . . um . . . alright . . . which filling? icon_confused.gif

CarolAnn Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 13

I don't always get pics of my cakes. If I'm terribly rushed at the end or too dead tired I have forgotten to get a pic. Then there is the occasional cake I just don't care much for that I don't want a picture of. If it's a set up delivery
I always get some pics before I leave. I do think it's important to get the sizes, flavors etc on paper though, to know exactly what you're doing and for future reference. I plan to start using a contract type of form, with as many details as needed per order.

hummingbird59 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 13

I am starting a notebook of all the cakes I have done..not that many. I plan on printing out a 4x6 photo of the cake and write the details underneath on the page. I also like to keep a record of what occasion the cake was for and who ordered it. Of course, right now I even decorate cake we eat at home. I only do family and friends and sometimes one for our church, but hope to go into business someday.

leannsloan Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 13

Good point I use the order form from CC I think I will add a photo to all forms so I can see the cake and know what flavors ect.. thanks for bring this up.

CakeWhizz Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for bringing this up! I am always nagged to take photos of my work and I now have a very good reason and a couple of great ideas to work with!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 13

I think documenting all cakes - the good, the bad, and the ugly - is a great idea! Even ugly cakes can taste good!

I always take pictures, even if I'm not thrilled with the cake/cookies. I upload the photos to Flickr.com and TRY to remember to document the size, number of layers, cake type, filling, icing, and anything else that I need to remind myself about should someone ask about the cake in the future. It's true that your memory does begin to go as soon as you hit 40!

Here are some other ideas for journaling your cakes using your computer:

Online: Create a blog. There are plenty of free blogging sites. I use blogger.com. I use it to keep track of my cakes and sometimes the stories that go along with them. Like Flickr.com, this also gives others access to your work.

I found a handy feature at www.picnik.com. You can crop your image so that it is a square. Then you can add a frame to it that looks like it came from a Polaroid instant camera. The large white portion at the bottom is perfect for adding notes. Here's what it looks like.

Offline: If you have Microsoft Word or another word processing application, you can create a document that includes cake pics, the notes I mentioned above, and you can even include the complete recipe. Word also has a handy table of contents builder that helps you go straight to a particular cake or recipe, which is really helpful once you get a lot of pages in your document. If you have PowerPoint, you could use it similar to word, building slides instead of pages.

If you don't have a word processing application, you may have something else that works just as well. Many photo editing applications have templates for creating scrapbook pages. This lets you combine photos and text.

Take a look at the programs you have on your computer. As long as you have something that allows you to combine photos and text, you can create a handy photo journal of your creations.

And as always, feel free to ask me for assistance. If I'm familiar with your software or the site you're using, I'll do my best to help you out.

charlieinMO Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 13

WOW!! THanks for all of that information Kim!! I LOVE that picture with the border. What a great idea! Thanks for taking the time to type all of that info!

Bettycrockermommy Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 13

That is a great idea Kim.

mkolmar Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #13 of 13

Thanks for the info everyone (especially you Kim).
I just hope the aunt gets the pictures developed fast enough so I know how I decorated that cake the future bride is talking about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%