Mmf- Made If For The First Time. Think I Messed It Up. Help?

Decorating By sayhellojana Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm by xstitcher

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I keep seeing all these gorgeous cakes finished with MMF, so I used the Rhonda's Ultimate recipe and made some. It is very dry and diffucult to work with. I had to use a rolling pin to kneed it and I still wasn't able to incorporate all of the sugar. I'm worried that it is too dry, that if I were to put it on a cake it would crack.
The recipe called for 1/2 cup of Crisco, but never said when to add it. It did call for a lot of greasing, which I did, but that did not use anywhere near 1/2 cup. Should I add (about) the rest of the 1/2 cup and kneed it in? Or would that make it too soft, and tear?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:15am
post #2 of 5

I've never tried that recipe, I just use the very basic one. Sometimes it doesn't take all the Crisco, and sometimes it does. Usually when it's first made it's very soft and it has to rest overnight to stiffen up enough to work with.

If it's too dry, you should knead in a bit more crisco, or knead in some glycerine.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

I'll add some crisco. Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

You probably added too much powdered sugar. Everyone makes that mistake the first time because that's what the recipes call for. I'm not sure why but it's wrong. Start off adding about 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar and then add a little more at a time as you knead it until the fondant is smooth and doesn't spread much when you let it rest a few seconds. You'll probably end up using about 5 1/2 - 6 cups. Use the crisco to coat your hands as you knead it. Let it rest overnight to firm up. If it's too stiff the next day, warm it in the microwave a few seconds. Good luck!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 5

Sorry to hijack this thread but I also have a ? about MMF. I just made my first batch today and had a couple of problems.

1) I found some small bits of powdered sugar throughout the MMF that didn't seem to "dissolve"

2) The consistency feel right when I have shortening on my hands but once it soaks up in the fondant it feels a little sticky. Did I not add enough ps?

TIA

also, can you use MMF to make roses? I need to make the roses for my final cake for course 3 and was wondering if this would work or if the Wilton brand was best to stick with for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%