~Help~ Buttercream W/o Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By seagoat Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm by seagoat

seagoat Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:42am
post #1 of 4

Tomorrow is Mother's Day here in Costa Rica. I have several cake orders for tomorrow and I'm out of Powdered sugar!!

Haven't had any luck finding any. I ordered a case from supplier #1 and came 1 Kilo sized bag icon_eek.gif Ordered from supplier #2 and they were out, finally tried a 3rd supplier and they also were out! icon_cry.gif I have bought all the powered sugar in town.. icon_confused.gif I have a sheet cake, 3D of a lady, and 2 regular round/heart cakes to do. Any suggestions?

On 2 of them I can do the Butter/boiled sugar.

Not sure what to do with the other 2. They want crisco icing...

Dama in distress... icon_lol.gif

3 replies
sari66 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:45am
post #2 of 4

I don't suppose they sell b/c premade anywhere? other wise I don't have any suggestions sorry icon_sad.gif

Curtsmin24 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #3 of 4

I don't know of one with crisco but I found this one on flicker:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
4 eggs, room temperature
10 ounces butter, cubed and at room temperature

Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a small saucepan.

Using a mixer, whip the eggs until light and fluffy. With the mixer speed turned to low, slowly drizzle in the sugar syrup.

After all of the syrup has been added, turn the mixer speed up and begin incorporating the butter one piece at a time. Do not add the next piece until you can no longer see any remains of the last piece. Continue until all of the butter is incorporated and the frosting is nice and creamy.

If you don't like the idea of using raw eggs in a frosting, I'm sure you can take that same idea of making a syrup and then adding that straight to creamed butter. I'd take a recipe for a simple butter and confectioner's sugar buttercream, heat the liquid along with an equivalent WEIGHT of granulated sugar until it's dissolved, let it cool, and then whip it into the butter.

seagoat Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 4

well, I've kind of lucked out. I have enough for the 3D cake and the sheet cake canceled last night. I'll make IMBC for the other two.

Thank you for the suggestions

Quote by @%username% on %date%