Nfsc-Diaster...can It Be Saved?? (Long)

Baking By iramirez94 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 1:51am by iramirez94

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am making 50 cross cookies for Saturday. I needed 1 1/2 batches NFSC... so I figured I'd make two batches and make baby shower bottle cookies for a shower I am attending on Saturday. I figured I'd save time and make extra cookies for the pregnant mom. She can afford the extra calories.. LOL

BIG MISTAKE...here are my problems..

1) I prepared and mixed the dry ingredients in a large bowl... and my twin daughter decided to help me "mix" it again. Well it's on the counter, blacksplash..and all over her clothes.

2) My 5qt KA CAN NOT mix the 2 batches. As it is mixing some of the dough finds it way OUT. i keep mixing it, as try not to have too much of it escape from the bowl. What a disaster!!!! (my mixert doesn't have the shield, in case you are wondering how it happened)

3) The dough is not like i am used to seeing it. It is very sticky..

sooo........ now what???

- bake them?
- sell my helper-- I have three more... (just kidding)
- start all over (i'm getting paid $2 each for cross cookies- they're for a friend sister)

Thanks for listening!!!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 8

Try flouring your counter and dumping the dough and kneading it.

You should be able to tell then, if you need more flour or moisture.

It won't take long, it just is a bit messy.

iramirez94 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 8

JoAnnB, I added a little bit of flour, but it still doesn't seem right. I am a newbie.. so not an expert, but can see tell that it is just not right.

My concern is that when my 4 year old helper was mixing she might have scatterd valuable baking powder... And i added to the problem when i was mixing it and it was clearly way tooo much dough for the mixer.

I am going to cut them out and bake them. If they don't taste right.. then I will have no choice but to start all over again.. I am so mad at myself!! tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif (keep calm don't yell at the helpers)

And i used real butter too!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif There goes $8.00!!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 8

I would add some extra flour to prevent them being sticky and bake them. Good luck hope they turn out so you do not have to make more.

ann925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ann925 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:40am
post #5 of 8

I hope you get them to turn out. The same thing happened to me last time I made some. My 2 yr old wanted to help and I ended up having to make them over. I'm a newbie too so I have no advice for you but good luck.

iramirez94 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:01am
post #6 of 8

The first two sheets of cookies are out of the oven. The first sample seemed to fall apart after it cooled a bit...

It tasted really sweet?? Coujld my helper of added more sugar??? Oh.. Oh... icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

wyckedwytch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wyckedwytch Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

Okay stay calm, if it doesn't have enough flour it will break...so add more flour up to a cup (I can't imagine you daughter would have spilled more than that) then refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes -1 hour. then take it out of the fridge and roll it out thick (you can roll it before putting it in the fridge if you roll it between parchment paper) then bake it.

I have the same problem with my 4.5 mixer when making two batches, so when I forget that my mixer can't hold that much, I start mixing everything and then as it gets to dry I dump out so of the contents on to parchment then keep mixng, then sowly add so of the contents back in while taking some of the well mixed out, and then I keep blending these two together until completely mixed. I hope that makes sense.

You cookies will be fine, with 12 c of flour the baking powder loss would be minimal. Breathe in, turn on a disney movie for your helper and promise her she can help make dinner for daddy tomorrow (keep it positive some day she really could be a great helper) and bake.

If the cookies are to fragile don't take them off the cookie sheet till they are cooled, or bake them on parchment and take the whole sheet off to cool.

Hope this helps,
Heather

iramirez94 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #8 of 8

Heather... Are the olympics ok??? It's helping me calm down. All three of my helpers are trying to stay out of my way. I gave them some playdough.. to keep them busy.

I am leaving them on the cookie sheet as you suggested. Maybe that will help. Maybe I will put them in refrigerator? I just can't wait any longer..

If all else fails... is there a cookie balls receipe???? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Maybe I'll get adventurous and make up the some cookie balls!

BTW... I am crossing my fingers that this works because I only have abut 2 cups of flour left. I will have to take my 3 helpers out to buy flour! Hubby and son are in Mexico.

Will post update...to my cookie saga!!

Thanks for everyone's help. This newbie appreciates it!! (breathing, breathing... kissing and hugging my helpers) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%