Am I Crazy....long

Decorating By srodts Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm by srodts

srodts Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 4

Or did I stumble on something kinda cool. Ok here it goes. I had to make a wedding cake for my best friends daughter and the bottom was a 16 in square, for some reason the racks in my oven curve up in the back and you cant turn them over cuz then they wont fit into the oven, so when I went to put the cake in the oven the door would not shut, so I put my pizza stone in the oven to get the pan up high enough to get over the turn up on my rack,, but then it was not high enough and the cake baked lopsided icon_cry.gif so next time I used the pizza stone and a stone cookie sheet thing and that was perfect. I also have been having problems with my cakes getting high enough so I thought about getting the bake even strips with my 40% off wilton this week but am to cheep so I didnt. I had to make more cakes for another friends daughters wedding next weekend and again another 16 in but this one is round so again I got out the stones and when I baked the 10 and 6 in cakes they really rose up to the top and over! I didnt add more cake mix or anything but they really came up. Am I crazy or did the stones do something to give me more height to my cakes? is this even possible??? I dont know how this stuff works so I dont know if Im crazy or if the two stones help me. Please let me know what you think.

3 replies
Mike1394 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 4

Hmmmmm I do suppose so. What it is doing is giving a more direct heat to the bottom. The thing I would worry about is over baking the bottom.

Now on the state of your mental condition. I will hold off comment LOLOLOL Good discovery.

costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 4

Pizza stones are supposed to imitate the stone hearth oven surfaces, so they retain the heat more evenly than a rack does. It might have made a difference in how the cakes baked, because they'd be sitting directly on an evenly heated surface instead of having air circulating around them.

You're not insane icon_smile.gif

srodts Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 4

I tasted the one I did that way last weekend and it was not over done and very moist so I think it should be ok.

Mike I was just reading some other post you reply to and you are pretty funny!! LOL LOL what part of MI are you from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%