Cake Boards In A Stacked Cake

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 15 Aug 2008 , 12:23pm by shannon100

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 7

I know I need to cover cake boards in between the middle tiers of the cake, but what's the best way that is safe to use since it's touching the cake? I was thinking maybe foil, because that would probably stick without tape (or I could tape underneath the foil), but then I was thinking, when I put the dowel through the middle, will it take foil with it? What do you use?

Thanks!

6 replies
cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

I use self adhesive shelf liner. It comes in plain white, you don't have to tape, and grease and moisture won't soak through. Its cheaper than the cake foil too. It might take a little more effort to get your dowel through them, but it doesn't rip like foil and won't go into the cake. Hope that helps!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 7

I used waxed boards and I do not cover them I have had no problem using them in the past.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

I use wax boards as well no issues

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:44am
post #5 of 7

I use cardboard circles covered in press & seal so that the cardboard (bottom) doesn't touch the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 11:58am
post #6 of 7

I have always use uncovered cardboards and have no problems. I also use SPS, so my cardboards are sitting on a plastic plate.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your help! I had to use foil this time. (I tested it first to see if the dowel would push foil through it, and it didn't.) But these will be very helpful next time!!

I didn't want to use uncovered because they haven't been kept in packages, so I can't be certain that they are clean enough to use for food directly on them. And once I put a one-layer cake directly on a clean one, and the board got really soggy.

I think I'll get shelf liner next time I go shopping. Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%