Silver Strand Of Pearls On Cake

Decorating By Camsgal Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 3:34am by jadex77x

Camsgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camsgal Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 5

I have a pearl maker that I have used on lots of cakes to make pearls and I just got a request for silver pearls. I am wondering what the best way to go about doing these. I have some silver that I have painted on gumpaste but if i put it on dry it would be very messy transfering them to the cake. And if I paint them on wet, the strand will harden before I can get it on the cake rounded... Does this make any sense? Anyway, any ideas would be helpful! TIA

4 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 5

how about making light gray fondant and rolling them in the silver pearl dust. i just got some silver and gold but haven't had a chance to play yet. I did make some great blue pearls, by using a light blue fondant and rolling in super pear. picture on my cake page.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

The ribbon strips on this cake were painted off the cake lying flat. Then I transferred them to the cake and I didn't have any trouble with them being too hard, they actually started out white, so you know it took a while to get this color. I don't know what you use but I use Everclear and luster dust. It also comes in several shades of silver. Hope this helps.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html

Jibbies

1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 5

with moonstone luster dust, use grey fondant and liberally brush the inside of the bead maker. I made a Wedding cake last night using this method it turned out better than I could have imagined.
HTH
Joan
1dessertdiva
P.S.
Allow the pearls to dry about 30-45 minutes before placing on cake it will help the luster dust adhere.

jadex77x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadex77x Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsgal

I have a pearl maker that I have used on lots of cakes to make pearls and I just got a request for silver pearls. I am wondering what the best way to go about doing these. I have some silver that I have painted on gumpaste but if i put it on dry it would be very messy transfering them to the cake. And if I paint them on wet, the strand will harden before I can get it on the cake rounded... Does this make any sense? Anyway, any ideas would be helpful! TIA

i dont know if this will help but i saw on food networks cake challenge one of the decorators added a few dops of rubbing alcohol to the luster dust in a seperate container then painted her pearls! she said that the alchohol helps to dry on the pearls faster and less messy... i personally havent tried it yet but i thought i would mention it. hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%