How Do You Handle...

Business By jules1719 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm by littlecake

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 7

Clients who ask if you HAVE to use fondant.

How do you reply when they say "a friend says fondant doesn't taste very good..."

I typically agree, even though I don't find it horrible. But some of these clients are "Captain Obvious" and want me to blink a solution into existence.

Do any of you find that you are put into a position of defending either it's taste or it's use?

6 replies
gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 7

I tell them that there are different brands of fondant some tasting really bad and others tasting fine. I also tell them it's more of a texture issue and usually give them a small piece to try. I have gotten used to fondant but at first I wasn't a big fan either. I think if you don't have it super thick it makes a difference. I also tell clients that there is buttercream or ganache underneath so if people don't like the fondant they can take it off, but the finished look, nothing beats it. It all depends on what look they are going for.....

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 7

Yeah, I agree. I would tell them that it's mostly based on the look/design that they're going for. Everything can't be done in buttercream, or at least it won't look as nice as if it were fondant.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 7

I am very honest with them. I tell them the following:

"Honestly, fondant is going to be a personal preference. My brother LOVES the stuff, but my sister doesn't.
Fondant is going to give you a much more elegant, smooth look.
Plus the way fondant works, their is a thin layer of buttercream underneath it.
If you'd like I can include a small sample in our tasting."

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 7

You can flip a coin, or paper-rock-scissors 'em!! Heads wins, they take the fondant... icon_lol.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 7

I felt much better when I saw an episode of "Ace of Cakes" where the people were peeling off the fondant before eating. icon_lol.gif

I usually tell them that it is a personal preference, but that we probably won't get that exact same look with BC; and that if I use BC to adhere the fondant, and they peel it off, they still have that BC taste that they are used to. (If I happen to be at the event where the cake is served, and I see people looking at the fondant with "that look," I let them know right there that it is OK to peel it off, and that I'm not at all offended.)

I also tell them that I can smooth the icing the best that I can, and then use fondant accents that are more easily pulled off, and can even be pulled off when serving.

It's such a personal preference, but it comes down to how they want the cake to look.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 7

well, why not give them buttercream if that's what they prefer?

just tell them it will look different.

i give them a taste of it...then they can see if they like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%