How Long To Bake 12X18

Decorating By Staceface81 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm by mqguffey

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys! I've searched a long time this morning and can't find the answer to this question. I hope you guys can help me out!
I am baking a 12x18 sheetcake for the first time. It will be one layer. I know that if I use the WASC recipe with two cake mixes that will be enough for the pan. I've got my baking strips soaking and my flower nails ready.....I just don't know how long this cake normally bakes! I don't want to open the oven door too early, as that always makes my cakes fall.
Can you guys tell me about how long this size takes to bake at 325?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 9

I start out at 40 minutes and then I check. I've found every mix is a little different, because of heat, humidity etc, so I just use 40 minutes as a beginning guideline.
Hope this helps

Jibbies

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 9

I also start at 40 mins. and it usually takes 45, I'd say. I wouldn't worry about the flower nails and baking strips, for a sheet that size, you've got plenty of surface area.

Staceface81 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 9

I thought it would take longer than that.....I usually bake that long for an 11x15. I assumed that a 12x18 would take longer? If I open the oven door too soon, won't that cause it to fall in the middle?

jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 9

I usually check my 11x15 at 35 minutes and my 12x18 at 40 minutes. Remember it's just a guideline. Also I didn't mention that I set my oven to 340 (It's digital) and it also a new oven. every oven is different you might need to check your temp. just get an oven thermometer and check what the true temp is and then if you feel like you need to adjust it you can. Also I'm a box mix baker they are different than scratch or doctored mixes.
You'll find what right for you

Jibbies

Staceface81 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

Ok, so you bake at a higher temperature......that makes sense! Thanks for the help.
I've got the cake in the oven right now, set on 40 minutes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it seems like such a HUGE cake!!!!
If I accidentally over-bake, is there a way to fix it?

Staceface81 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 9

THANKS GUYS! It turned out GREAT! I baked it for 50 minutes at 325. icon_smile.gif

jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 9

Good job! sorry I didn't see your next to last post. I was repotting some flowers on my front porch that baked in the hot Georgia sun. but in case it ever happens that you over bake all I can say is cakeballs!

Jibbies

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

I've also heard of basting the finished cake with a simple syrup to increase moistness. Glad it turned out so well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%