3-D Cake Help-A Car(Charger) & A Cake That Is One Big Ro

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 12:08am by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:59am
post #1 of 4

I have always done cakes, but I am by no means a professional, I have taken a few courses, but nothing that has covered this. I have been doing about 2 or 3 cakes for other people a week now, and I have recently gotten 2 requests that I am not sure if I can do. One is a car cake...a black charger to be specific and the other is a cake that looks like one giant yellow rose. I have tried searches and looking a pics, but I haven't found anything to help me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much...

Sarah

3 replies
varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 9:24am
post #2 of 4

Well, I'm not sure I can help on the yellow rose cake, but I can say for the car that you should get some good pictures of a Challenger--not hard, you can go to the Dodge website, for one--and start taking measurements.

The specs state that a Charger is 200.1 inches long, 58.2 inches tall, and 74.5 inches wide. I don't know what size cake you're baking to begin with, but you can scale these measurements down to fit. For instance, if you're starting with a 9x13" cake, you would divide 13" by 200.1" to get roughly .065. Multiply that by 58.2" and you come up with about 3.78 inches. So you would need to bake two 2-inch layers and stack them. Then you would multiply your .065 (I do it on the calculator to be more precise) by 74.5" to come up with about 4.84 inches. So then you mark your cake with toothpicks to cut a five-inch wide block. (The smaller chunk you can use for cake balls or ice as a separate cake, even.) Then you can go to your photos and carve the details by looking at angles and proportions in the photos.

Just take your time with it, and you'll do fine!

varika Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:25am
post #3 of 4

Ooooh, I just found this article in my favorites! I remember picking it up from a thread here somewhere, but I can't remember which thread, but it's a giant rose cake.

BakeLoveMom Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your help. I am currently working on another cake, but I will do more homework tom.

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%