Vegan Mmf... I'm Working On It. :o)

Decorating By kellertur Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:44am
post #1 of 21

Hello! I'm so excited!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I've found a great recipe for vegan marshmallows and am currently adapting a "Vegan MMF" recipe for those interested.
I've searched EVERYWHERE for a MMF recipe without geletin, so I've decided to make one.

Let me know if you're interested. I'll keep you posted on the results.

~Mad scientist in the kitchen... watch for the mushroom cloud!!! madhatter.gif

20 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:07am
post #2 of 21

I'd love to hear what you find! In the past for small decorations I've mixed fluff (which contains no gelatin ) with powdered sugar. I've never tried to use it for a whole cake.

Keep us posted!

kellertur Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 21

We can't eat Fluff because it has something Non-vegan in it (I think eggwhites, or something). There's a vegan version but it is SUPER expensive.

I made the marshmallows last night (pretty white) and tonight I hope to test out my recipe for vegan MMF.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 21

Definitely let me know what you come up with. We have close friends that are vegans, and they love when I bake for them. Thanks for doing the dirty work icon_biggrin.gif .

Bijoudelanuit Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 21

I never thought about the eggwhites! (I'm only vegetarian! ) Makes me curious to read the label now...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 21

Why don't you just use SatinIce?

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 21

Hi to my vegan cake decorating friends. I'm not a vegan but I respect your ideas. I noticed Leahs post and I went and got one of my 5 pound buckets of white/vanilla Satin Ice fondant. Here is a list of ingredients taken right off of the label
Sugar, corn syrup, water,palm oil, natural and artificial flavor, gum tragacanth,titanium dioxide, glycerine, cellulose gum, modified corn starch, potassium sorbate, acetic acid.
I don't know if any of those things are not vegan. I'm just letting you know in case this is something you could possibly use. This is the only fondant I use on edible cakes. It has a good flavor and is easy to work with.

Jibbies

kellertur Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Why don't you just use SatinIce?

I'm not quite sure what satin ice is, although I've seen the container. Is it the same texture as fondant?

I am very concerned with ingredients (hydrog. oils) hidden animal ingredients ( unnamed "natural" flavorings), etc. BUT you have sparked my curiousity on this Satin Ice product... could someone please enlighten me. icon_rolleyes.gif

I still plan on making my own MMF, because I've heard the taste is better than regular??? icon_confused.gif But if I can, I'll also try the Satin Ice.

Thanks for the tip. icon_smile.gif
also, Thanks Jibbies...

leah_s Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 21

SatinIce IS fondant. It's a commercial product and it's fab! Also comes pre-colored in a rainbow of colors.

www.SatinFineFoods.com

Call them and ask about the flavorings.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #10 of 21

Of the three brands of fondant that I have right now, only Chocopan seems to have any animal-based ingredients (powdered milk). Satin Ice and Pettinice both have very similar ingredient listings.

I would love to hear how your marshmallows turn out!

kellertur Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 21

Sorry it's been so long ~

For anyone still watching this post:
PM me if you'd like the recipe. icon_smile.gif

I do think store bought vegan marshmallows ($$ mucho dinero $$) would yield better results, but this seemed to work well for me. Although, it'd be nice to skip the first step of making the marshmallow liquid... that was boring and messy. I didn't end up letting the liquid fully become marshmallows since I was just going to melt it back down anyway, and it seemed to work fine. My only irritation is that it cracks/tears easily when kneading, icon_mad.gif but I'm not used to MMF, period. It felt like I was kneading for an eternity ~ but it tasted yummy.

I actually let it sit (on the cake) overnight in the fridge and I liked the surface shine, and texture better. Weird? icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the interest ~ we vegans/veggies need to keep up in the modern world, eh??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 21

I would love the recipe, but why can't you use Michel foster's fondant recipe and use agar agar in the place of gelatin. I am a vegetarian, but no eggs. ( I do use dairy). I haven't tried it, but would be curious if someone has tried it.

kellertur Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli_War

I would love the recipe, but why can't you use Michel foster's fondant recipe and use agar agar in the place of gelatin. I am a vegetarian, but no eggs. ( I do use dairy). I haven't tried it, but would be curious if someone has tried it.

I did use agar agar ~ and her recipe is in my cake binder waiting to be tried. I've never made reg. fondant and was gun-shy because of the candy thermometer part... I will be trying to make her recipe probably this week, hopefully. If you do, let me know how it turns out, if you don't mind. icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 21

In my humble opinion this would be so much easier for you to make from scratch than mmf. It tastes great and works great. It's toba's fondant:

Toba Garrett's recipe wrote:
ROLLED FONDANT

Ingredients
1 Tbsp (1 envelope) unflavoured gelatin
1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
1 tsp lemon, almond or orange extract
1/2 c (6 oz or 168 g) light corn syrup
1 Tbsp glycerin (optional - see note at end)
up to 2 lbs (908 g) 10X confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp white vegetable shortening

1. Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water in a small bowl. Let it stand for two minutes to soften. Place it over a pan of simmering water until the gelatin dissolves, or use the microwave for 30 seconds on HIGH. Do not overheat. Add the flavouring.

2. Add corn syrup and glycerin (see note) and stir until mixture is smooth and clear. Gently reheat if necessary, or microwave for an additional 15 to 20 seconds on HIGH. Stir again.

3. Sift 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) of the sugar into a large bowl. Make a well in the sugar and pour the liquid mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture will become sticky.

4. Sift some of the remaining 1/2 pound (225 g) of sugar onto a smooth work surface and add as much of the remaining sugar as the mixture will take. Knead the fondant, adding a little more sugar, if necessary, to form a smooth, pliable mass. The fondant should be firm and soft. Rub the vegetable shortening on your palms and knead it into the fondant. This relieves the stickiness of the fondant.

5. Wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Rolled fondant woks best if allowed to rest for 24 hours.

Note: If covered well, this rolled fondant dough can be refrigerated for 1 month or frozen for up to 3 months. I do, however, recommend Pettinice RTR Icing (commercial rolled fondant). It doesn't taste quite as good as homemade; however, it has more stretch. Since it's extremely flexible, you can do more with it. This product can last for up to 6 months without refrigeration.

Storage: Double wrap the rolled fondant in plastic wrap and then store it in a zippered plastic bag. It will keep in the refrigerator for 30 days on in the freezer for up to 3 months.

NOTE: instead of the gelatin you could use Agar Agar here's a link to the info on agar agar which is made from sea weed
http://www.bulkfoods.com/agar_agar.htm

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 21

Toba's recipe isn't vegetarian or vegan- Gelatin is extracted from bones and hooves!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 21

That is the reason a link has been provided. You can use agar-agar in the place of gelatin. I don't know if one spoon of gelatin is the same as one spoon of agar agar. If we figure that out, we can make it using agar-agar.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #17 of 21

Sorry,

I didn't read down that far! Just saw the list of ingredients! My apologies!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #18 of 21

the link I provided does give some measurements but to be honest I cant remember what it said lol (old age setting in) but if someone were really interested in making their fondant this way rather than fooling around with the icky mess of making their marshmallow it would be worth checking into. It would certainly be cheaper and faster in my opinion.

kellertur Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:36am
post #19 of 21

Agar agar is used in exact measurement ratios to gelatine. It can be found at most health food stores.

I do have Toba's cookie book with her fondant recipe and did look at it tonight. I actually made "Michelle Foster's fondant" tonight (with agar agar) which seemed to work fine, also ~ and was far less labor intensive.

I can see the point made about veganizing MMF being laborious and messy. I just wanted to see if MMF could be made vegan ~ I guess I'm stubborn. icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 21

I still don't understand why you don't just buy SatinIce.

kellertur Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I still don't understand why you don't just buy SatinIce.

That's a reasonable question, and I think the main reason is that I am a SAHM doing this our of my home, so I thought it would save money (shipping, etc.) to make it myself... maybe I'm wrong there. icon_confused.gif I also wanted some ASAP and didnt' want to wait 2 weeks for the shipment.

I do have the SatinIce website bookmarked - it's just a matter of pushing that "complete order" button. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%