Anyone Know How To Color Fondant A Deep Brown?

Decorating By cakeladyem Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm by cakeladyem

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 5

I need to cover a 12-10-8-6 tier cake on Friday and I need it to be a dark brown like leather. I was going to use satin ice and dye it brown but it comes out more of a dark tan. Can I add black or anything else to it to make it darker? I would like to use some chocolate fondant that I have fot it but I worry that I will not have enough, I have 5 lbs. There aren't any cake shops here so I have to special order, so getting more in time isn't an option. Do you think 5lbs would be enough? I haven't used chocolate fondant before so I am unsure how thin you can roll it and all. Thanks for any help!

Emily

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

I highly recommend satin ice chocolate fondant if you can get it in time. It's a rich deep brown, tastes pleasant, and handles very well (a little softer than normal satin ice)

grannyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannyrose Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 5

You may just need to add more color - sometimes it takes a lot of coloring to get a dark, rich color. Why not experiment on a small amount of fondant? Try adding more color and/or adding a small amount of black. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get the exact color I want but it is doable.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 5

You could make your own chocolate fondant if you don't have enough time to order it. Have you made marshmallow fondant before? The chocolate is similar. Here's how just in case you haven't.

Put one 16 oz bag mini marshmallows and 2 TBS water in a glass bowl. Microwave for about 40 sec. at a time and stir in between until the mixture is soupy. Add 2 tsp. corn syrup and about a 1/4 cup Hershey's special dark dutch process cocoa powder. (don't add melted chocolate, it seizes the fondant.) Knead in about 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar like bread dough. Add a little p. sugar at a time until the fondant is smooth but doesn't spread much when you let it sit for a few seconds. Wrap it and let rest overnight. When you need to use it it may be stiff so just microwave it for a few seconds to warm it up.

It's pretty easy. And much cheaper than store bought choc. fondant.

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 5

I will give all your suggestions a try, thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%