Can Someone Please Explain To Me...

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 5:19am by CristyInMiami

CristyInMiami Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #1 of 5

I bake a lot at home and have been confused by the term 2 layer. I know it may seem like an easy answer but I wasn't sure if it was one cake cut in half and filled or 2 seperate cakes layered together. Thanks, be kind. icon_redface.gif

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:39am
post #2 of 5

Each cake that comes out of a pan is a layer, so 2 nine inch pans provide 2 nine inch layers. Each layer can be torted (cut in half) and filled. 2 layers put together form either a single cake, or a tier that can be stacked onto other cakes.


PinkZiab Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

a 2-layer cake is generally 2 2-inch cake layers with some filling in between. basically an old-fashioned layer cake that is not torted or anything.

JanH Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

We're all here to help. icon_smile.gif

A typical American layer cake is composed of two cake layers.

And the term torte can mean anything from a single layer cake to a multi-layered, multi-torted extravaganza.

(Since torte can also be a verb, meaning to cut a cake layer in half, or thirds, etc. and filling added.)

Here's some useful info....

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered cake:

Illustrated guide to cutting neat slices of tiered cake by indydebi:
(So much easier & neater than the Wilton method.)

New link for Wilton's revised cake making & decorating help:


CristyInMiami Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:19am
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I knew i can count on you guys! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%