Help! How In The World Do I Get Burgundy?????

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I have a wedding cake due for Saturday that has a fondant ribbon around each tier and a loopy bow on top with ribbons trailing down the sides. When the bride ordered the cake she said she wanted it red. I ordered Satin Ice Red fondant (figured I would save time instead of colouring myself). She dropped off a colour swatch today (long story) for me to match the red......and it is burgundy. I tried mixing burgundy using the red as a base with a little bit of purple added, but I just get a wierd rusty/orange colour. PLEASE HELP!!!!

6 replies
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 1:54am
post #2 of 7

You can buy burgandy food coloring gel. When I made a burgandy ribbon I used it and brushed burgandy lustre dust on it too and it turned out beautiful! Good luck!

cakeladyem Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 7

Americolor has a burgandy color, I know. Other than that I don't have any ideas for changing the red to the color you need, sorry. If you aren't able to get it I would just tell her sorry, you tried to match the color but she really should have gotten you the swatch much sooner. icon_sad.gif Good luck!

AlamoSweets Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:29am
post #4 of 7

You might try painting the red with burgundy lustre dust and vodka and see it it matches.

PatrysV Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:55am
post #5 of 7

Mix a bit of black in with you red, until you get the right shade. thumbs_up.gif That's what I did with Shrek's Baby donkey.
LL

Denae Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:01am
post #6 of 7

americolor holds the best color...or the gel paste from bakery crafts... they have a burgandy color...or mix red & purple together...add brown to darken it.

mrswendel Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I don't have anywhere to get Americolor (I'm in rural Ontario) and the closest Michaels is about 45 minutes away. PatrysV, that colour is almost exactly what I need so I will try mixing red with black. Thanks everyone!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%