Need Help - Trying To Get Deep Red Gum Paste.

Decorating By SRC_Dee Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm by terrylee

SRC_Dee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:31am
post #1 of 16

I am trying to get dark red gum paste to make the roses for my niece's wedding cake. I have Wilton red paste but my gum paste looks more orange than dark red! Can I add black to get a deep red color? At this rate I will be out of coloring soon.

SRC_dee

15 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 16

If you use black, use a very, very tiny amount. This will only darken it a little. The best option is to get the gumpaste a medium red and then dust them with red petal dust. After the roses have dried, then steam them very briefly to set the color. This method gives a deeper color and a more natural look.

HTH

Michele

Cakebelle Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #3 of 16

I always do what Michele has suggested above, works every time.

debster Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #4 of 16

One of the best tips I've learned here is if your using gel paste get some AMERICOLOR super red and super black. No taste and you don't have to use much the longer it sits the darker it gets so put it about 2 shades lighter than you want and leave it sit over night. You won't go back to Wilton ever. LOVE, LOVE , Love the Super Red!!!!!!!!

SRC_Dee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 16

Thanks to all of you. I will try adding some black for now until I can get some new color. I do have red pearl dust so I will give that a shot also.
Thanks again,
Dee

marybible Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 16

Where can you get the Americolor at? I have only used Wilton. And I have such trouble with red myself. I would love to try it.

debster Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 16

The cheapest place I've found is www.intotheoven.com the large 13 oz bottle is like 7.00 The super red and super black are FANTASTIC. Best advice I got here for coloring . No taste and what deep colors!!!! Global Sugar Art sells it to , but not as cheap.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 16

If you look at my gallery you will se my red roses. I used CK super red. I only color a large ball of gumpaste at a time and the red takes very well. I have notice that it takes even better if i make sure that my gloves are oiled with crisco.

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 16

Oh and to darken the center of my roses I dusted the centers with burgancy luster dust. HTH

LisaR64 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 16

One tip I found that really works is to first tint your gumpaste orange, and then it takes much less red coloring to get it to a true red.

mracker27 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 16

How do you steam fondant? I've never heard of anything like that. I'd love to know how you do it.

Thanks!

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 16

You only want to steam gumpaste. Just hold it over a pot of boiling water.
Not for long. Just for a few seconds to set the color.

terrylee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 16

Me too - how do you steam fondant. I need to make a dark burgundy.....but it looks dull. Will steaming help?

terrylee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 16

Dumb question.......is that pure gumpaste or can it be mixed with fondant...

jjkarm Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 16

Maybe I'm strange......but I've steamed fondant before. icon_confused.gif As I suggested in another thread, I use a clothing steamer to do my steaming. You have much more control over the whole process than you do if you use a pot of boiling water. Plus you don't have to turn the flower upside down for the steam to hit it. I form the fondant into a flower (or whatever else your making), then let it dry for at least 24 hours before steaming it. You have to be careful not to steam fondant for too long or it will wilt and get sticky. That being said.......it is much easier to steam gum paste or a mixture of gum paste and fondant. icon_smile.gif

terrylee Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the reply....I will try it on the burgundy daisys that I have to make. Post picture when done. Weddings not until mid Sept. so I have some time to experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%