Stripes Questions

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 12:57am by becklynn

tootie0809 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 4

There's probably a very easy solution to this, but I'm lost. I'm doing fondant stripes on a round cake. How do I figure out the spacing for the stripes so they end up looking evenly spaced all the way around the cake? Also, when doing stripes, what are some tricks to keeping them straight? I was using a small level pushed up against the side of each stripe. It helps, but I don't think it's precise. Any ideas on straight, evenly spaced stripes? TIA!

3 replies
DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 4

You're right. There is an easy solution. Actually, two.

1. Take a piece of paper larger than the diameter of your cake and fold it in half. Then fold it in half again, paper airplane style where the fold is always in the same corner. Unfold the paper and it will look like a pinwheel. Place the paper under your cake and use the folds as a guide to mark your cake.

2. Tear off a piece of wax paper or freezer paper larger than the diameter of your cake. Cut it down to a 1-2 inch strip. Wrap the strip around your cake and trim it so it's exactly the same diameter of your cake. Fold the strip in half, then half again, etc.. Unfold the strip, wrap around your cake and use the folds as a guide to mark your cake.

If you let your fondant stripes firm up for a few minutes after you cut them out, they'll be easier to apply straight. If they're all flimsy and droopy, that's exactly what they'll look like on the cake. icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! I'm going to try these techniques on my next cake. You're awesome!

becklynn Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

Here's a tip that I learned at one of the demos at the ICES convention:
Use adding machine paper to wrap around cakes to mark off equal sections. Wrap the paper around cake after it's iced and cut it to fit your cake. Remove and fold into equal sections. Place back on cake and mark at each fold line.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%