Business By Karema Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 5:00am by keyshia

Karema Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 16

I just took the first few steps to become legal today. I got my DBA today and I'm waiting for the inspector to call me to do an inspection at my home. They said it is legal in NYS. I'm so happy

15 replies
holoien003 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 16

Yay!! I'm happy for you thumbs_up.gif

littlecake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 16

Karema Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 16

Ok so here is what is going on. The inspector called and she is coming out next friday and is bringing some papers and will do the inspection. I have to have hot water, a working bathroom, hairnets, and gloves. She said I can do pies, cookies and cakes but not wedding cakes. I dont get that one. Also I cant sell on the internet. I dont know what that means. Does that mean I cant have a website with my pictures and info? Or I cant sell like on a paypal account. I have so many questions. She also said that I will be tax exempt. So I am happy about that. I want to thank all of you oh here. Because of so many debates about being legal I decided to be brave and find out if I could be legal. It was really easy and painless. It only cost me $37! I also have to have labels and packaging ready. BTW the name of my business is A Little Piece of Heaven. What do you guys think?

kettlevalleygirl Posted 15 Aug 2008 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 16

Good for you!!
I love the name...

Going to New York for the first time this fall, after the Bakery Expo! I am very excited.

indydebi Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 12:52am
post #6 of 16

I would definitely ask her about the wedding cake thing. Maybe it has something to do with perishable materials? icon_confused.gif I mean, what's the diff between a 3-tier birthday cake and a 3-tier wedding cake?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:07am
post #7 of 16

good for you! congratulations icon_smile.gif

miny Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 7:34am
post #8 of 16

So happy for you icon_biggrin.gif , and so glad it was easy and painless in NY, I only wish CA were like that! icon_mad.gif Oh, and I love the name. Congratulations.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 16

Maybe the wedding cake thing has to do with the larger "exposure", thus the increased risk? It does seem weird, though. But then, again, I live in Louisiana so you'll be hard pressed to tell me something that will surprise me. icon_rolleyes.gif

And the internet thing...Huh? As a website content manager I get really frustrated because here were in 2008 and some old school institutions still don't accept it as a mainstream means of communication. Can you sell cakes over the phone, on TV, in the newspaper, on a billboard? To a fox in sox sitting in a box?

I for one am very interested in hearing about why you can't sell on the internet. Grrrrr...

Karema Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 16

Guess What? The inspector came out today and my housed passed inspection! I am open for business. Well sort of. I can sell, cakes, pies, cupcakes, cookies, sweet breads, brownies, and muffins. I'm so happy. Still can't do wedding cakes. She said it's a new rule and they say no to wedding cakes because they cost so much and that is a whole different market. Oh well I'm happy anyway. Thanks for everyone's support. Now I dont feel so bad about baking out of my home because I'm legal.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 16

Congratulations and good luck!

By the way, any more insight about why you can't advertise on the web?

Jasmine33 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 16

Sell a 5 tiered "birthday" cake then. icon_biggrin.gif

miny Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 6:05am
post #13 of 16

Congratulations!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

DerrellC Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:18am
post #14 of 16

Good for you,wish it was that easy in Florida.They make it almost impossible here.As far as not selling wedding cakes, just rename them "celebration cakes" If you can't dazzle them with brillance,confuse them with bull !!!

jibbies Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:44am
post #15 of 16

You know a wedding is a birthday of sorts. It's the birth of a new family beginning. Instead of the doctor slapping the baby's butt the preacher says you may kiss the bride. And then they go have "birthday cake" icon_wink.gifparty.gifbirthday.gif

keyshia Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:00am
post #16 of 16

Congratulations! How exciting! I too am in the process of becoming licensed. I've submitted my paperwork...and am waiting for the call for the inspections. I knwo here in Utah, you cannot sell things interstate online...I wonder if that's what they meant? I can't see how they could tell you not to have a business website for your clients or potential clients to see your work?

As for the wedding cakes...strange. icon_smile.gif

Best of luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%