Question About Edible Images

Decorating By kdscalling Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm by fluttercakes

kdscalling Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 5

A co-worker is having a birthday in a couple of weeks. I want to make a cake with the theme of the project he has been working cards. My plan is to make a male figure surrounded by credit cards of all sizes and shapes. I can get the images for credit card advertisements and put quite a few of them on a word document.

My question is if I take this word document to one of the places that makes edible images, once I get the image, can I cut it up so I can have individual cards? I really don't want to draw/paint many as I need.

4 replies
sugaah Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

My experience has been to use very sharp blade to cut and handle as less as possible

tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

I've cut them with scissors and had no problems. I made little T shirts for my Hollister Shopping Bag Cake all on one sheet then cut them out.

melvin01 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, several on a sheet and then cutting them out will work. There is a plastic backing on the frosting sheets that you need to remove before putting on the cake...although I have left the plastic backing on before (and removed the photo before cutting) since the image I had was getting colors from the frosting underneath bleeding through.

I haven't had the problem on white frosting, but I had green buttercream underneath once and the photo started turning greener and greener.

fluttercakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 5

You can always put the edible image on a piece of fondant/gumpaste (lightly dampen the fondant first), let it dry, then you can place the cards where ever you want them without having to worry about the EI ripping on you. Also, you can cut the fondant and EI with a rectangular cookie cutter for an even sharper edge. I did that with a fondant ribbon/plaque, and it worked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%