Fondant Decorations On Crusted Buttercream?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm by valbos22

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

First post <yay>

I've been a lurker for a long time and I finally have a question to post.

I am making a tier cake similar to one found in the gallery here (I will try to post a picture). It looks like fondant with fondant polka dots on it. My friend (I'm doing it for a friend's baby's birthday) doesn't really like fondant, so I was going to use a crusting buttercream for the base and then use fondant for the polka dots. Will this work? Will the fondant be able to stick to the buttercream after it's crusted (which I need it to do to get it as smooth as possible)? Any other suggestions?

I hope this attachment works. <crosses fingers>
LL

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

yep, it will work fine. just brush a bit of water on back of the dots and stick!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 5

No problem at allicon_smile.gif I use b'cream to 'glue' the decorations on.....just use tip #3 making a open circle of b'c on the back of the deco and push it on the cake.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 5

Hi there,

I just did a cake frosted with buttercream and used fondant for the circles too! It worked perfectly. I just brushed them with water and pressed them on lightly. I would recommend rolling the fondant circles very thin though, so they are not as heavy to drag the buttercream down.

Here is a pic.
Good luck.
LL

valbos22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valbos22 Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 5

My LPS monkey cake I made was with fondant on crusted buttercream-- I just wanted to add that you might want to add the fondant to the cake close to the debut time for the cake. I did mine the day before and they started to pick up some of the oil from the buttercream by the time the cake debuted at the party about 36 hours later.

I just love that cake, it is one of my favorites on here. Be sure to post pictures of your rendition for all of us monkey lovers.

Smiles,

Val

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%