Painting On Fondant With Gel Colors...questions????

Decorating By DollyCakes Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm by milissasmom

DollyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a cake that will be covered in cream colored MMF. I want to paint on it using a toile stencil (Nick Lodge purse cake stencil). What type of "paint" should I be using? I did a sample last night using Wilton black gel very slightly diluted with lemon extract. While it seems to work well, this morning, under a fan, it still wasn't dry....will it ever totally dry? Or should I use something else? I tried black dust mixed with lemon extract and it's too thin - it seeps right under the stencil and makes a big mess. What about royal icing - would that work? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!!

7 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 8

I've only done a few stencils, but, yes, what works for me best is royal icing.

I've also thinly applied shortening to the back of the stencil, stuck on the cake, and brushed on dust straight from the jar (not diluted).

Wish I had a airbrush for stencils!! icon_biggrin.gif

milissasmom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 8

I dilute my gel with Vodka...The alcohol content is high enough that it evaporates way better than extract. I am sure there are many ways to do it but this is what works for me...Extracts won't dry like I need it to for something like this...

jennifer7777 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 8

When I paint on fondant I mix the gel paste with vodka. It still needs drying time, though. You could also use royal icing or even buttercream...just hold the stencil up to the cake and lightly spread a thin layer of either one on the cake, then carefully remove the stencil.

wrightway777 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 8

RI and buttercream work great.
If you go the route of alcohol - try Everclear - its got the highest alcohol content (hence dries quicker). Pour a small amount of the liquor into a resealable container (like 1/4 - 1/2 a baby jar). Keep a lid on it while you work with it. It will evaporate out of the jar.

DollyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks ladies! I went home on my lunch break and mixed up some royal icing with black gel. (Who needs lunch on their lunch break anyway??) icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I painted it on the sample piece of fondant I had still drying from last night and it seems to work like a charm. I think it's royal icing for my stenciling! I can't wait to make this cake.

The recipient loves formal decor so her cake is getting a gumpaste teacup and saucer on top filled with roses, and the cake will be fondant with toile stenciling with a few more accents here and there, I'm sure. I sure hope the actual cake turns out as well as the picture in my head!! LOL! icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 8

Wow! That sounds like a fantastic design. Be sure to post your pictures - I'm sure it will be very elegant! thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 8

Yay!! You figured it out...I can't wait to see it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%