First Time Using Gumpaste

Decorating By Melan Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm by aileenlnbh

Melan Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 19

Hi! I am going to venture into the world of gumpaste and have been waiting on an opportunity to do so... now I have it!

I'd like to make a diploma out of gumpaste that looks like it's opened up, with a message on the inside "Congrats So and So" Is gum paste like working with fondant? How can I write on it, what's best to use, RI/BC? I'd appreciate any advice. Also, what's the best way to color it?

Thanks!

18 replies
tonedna Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 19

Well the easiest way would be an edible image that looks like a diploma and then you can add to a piece of gumpaste. But, if you want to do all the work, The best would be Royal Icing. It can be done in buttercream, but then you have to be so careful not too touch it!..So is easiest in RI
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cakeladyem Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 19

Gumpaste is a lot like working with fondant but you can roll it thinner and it dries harder faster. Make sure if you stop working with it for even a minute or two you will want to cover it in plastic to stop it from drying out. You can color it just like fondant, put a little gel color in and work it in. You could also write on it with food markers, but RI would definately work better than BC.

Melan Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 19

So, can I roll it out, fix it into the shape of a diploma, then when it dries write on it in RI? What about using Wilton's new Sparkle Gel? I have some of that in the color I need.

disp4so Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan

So, can I roll it out, fix it into the shape of a diploma, then when it dries write on it in RI? What about using Wilton's new Sparkle Gel? I have some of that in the color I need.

sparkle gel will work but like buttercream it won't harden so you have to be careful not to touch it..

good luck icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 19

I am doing this right now ! I rolled out a square ( I guess ) Of gumpaste and let it dry some and Im adding an Edible Image, It has the school stamp In the back ground and then the congrats to so & so it and what ever else the customer wanted it to say . I do have a question to anyone .... Im laying this in the middle of the cake on buttercream. Should I add some powder sugar( or anything ) on the icing before I add the( GUMPASTE ) diploma? Im worried about them being able to take it up before they cut the cake and not have all the icing going with it ?

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 19

Oh ..I never worried after a cake is decorated on whats going to happen when I am ctting it off!..It shouldnt be a big issue if the icing lifts a little.. Just pat it back down..You are about to masacre this cake!...lol.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Melan Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 19

Ok, so I have managed to make my diploma, but I still need to let it dry quite a bit more. When it's dry I will probably use RI to write on it.... I also made some tiny diplomas and grad caps. I want the grad caps black now... can I paint them with my Wilton black color? What's the best way to go about doing this?

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks ! If I was there I wouldnt worry at all !But You know how it can be for other people. But I will just tell them If any comes off just to pat it backdown. So just lay the diploma on the icing and no dusting of powdered sugar or anything else under it ?

Melan Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 19

Ok, so I have managed to make my diploma, but I still need to let it dry quite a bit more. When it's dry I will probably use RI to write on it.... I also made some tiny diplomas and grad caps. I want the grad caps black now... can I paint them with my Wilton black color? What's the best way to go about doing this?

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 19

Usually i color the gumpaste before...but if you didnt you can paint with gel colors. It will stay shiny looking...you can use an airbrush too.

Melan Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 19

Yeah, I knew I should have done it before, but i got to playing around and experimenting... then I realized that I did all that and still had to color it! I'll use the gel color and go from there! Thanks`

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 19

OH I LOOOOOOOVE GUMPASTE.

I find it easy to work with. It is so easy to handle.

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #14 of 19

lol Melissa...gumpaste is what dreams are made off!... icon_lol.gif

Fiddlesticks...after the cake is paid for and gone..and they are happy...I say..who cares!...let them take care of it!... icon_lol.gif

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 19

icon_lol.gif Your my kind of lady Edna !!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 19

Couldnt have said that better myself Edna.

tonedna Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 19

lol..life is too short to worry after the check is on the bank..My work is done!..and they are happy. If they dont know how to cut or drop the cake..Sorry..
I did my job already..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:06pm
post #18 of 19

icon_lol.gif I will remember that.Once the cash is in my hand,who gives a S@$T!! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gif Well I will try anyway ! icon_razz.gif

aileenlnbh Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 9:38pm
post #19 of 19

hi ive been reading avidly about making things with gumpaste and im just venturing into my first gumpaste adventure. does everyone make their own from the recipe on this site (gumpaste no 2)? im interested in what you are saying about edible images - how do i get an edible image of whatever it is im doing, say for example, im making a cake in a month or so for the UK Boys Brigade and in know their logo from letterheads - how do i get an edible image done of that? thanks for all your help for this newbie icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%