Fmm Cutters

Decorating By mracker27 Updated 13 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm by snowshoe1

mracker27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mracker27 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am in the market for some new letter/number cutters and I saw some on www.globalsugarart.com. The pictures of the cut outs look fantastic, but I am leary of buying cutters because I've had so many problems in the past of my fondant sticking to the cutter (ie. Wilton cutters).

Do any of you use these and have you had a good experience with them? Would you mind giving me your input on what does/doesn't work, what cutters you'd prefer, etc?

Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 5

I recently bought the FMM funky tappit letter cutters. I tried to use them once and the letters stuck like crazy...I thought I wasted almost $20!

Yesterday, I was in a cake store, and asked one of the ladies about it, and she said whether you're using fondant or gumpaste, you should add extra tylose to it and the letters won't stick, and you can also put a thin coating of shortening on the cutters to help also.

Hope that helps, I haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm hoping!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 5

I have these:

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16675 (and also the funky letter set)

I love the product. What works for me is to roll out the GP very thin, let the GP strip dry for maybe a minute and flip over, let set another minute, cut out the letter. If the letter sticks in the tappit - just 'tap it' on the counter lightly and it comes right out.

It was a bit frustrating the first few times I used these; but, for me it works like magic now!

Also, I have used with just fondant when I didn't want to use GP. I think the trick is to get your medium very thin and let it crust just a little.

HTH

mracker27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mracker27 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm glad to know you have the same ones I wanted to order and that they work for you. I'm excited to get these!
One last question...are they separate punches or are they all connected to one strip? (Does that make sense)?
Thanks again!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracker27

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm glad to know you have the same ones I wanted to order and that they work for you. I'm excited to get these!
One last question...are they separate punches or are they all connected to one strip? (Does that make sense)?
Thanks again!

I believe it is a total of four strips (e.g. A - F on one strip, etc...). If you have any questions once you get them, feel free to PM me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%