Non Perishable Coconut Filling Request

Baking By amerlu2006 Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm by sadiepix

amerlu2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amerlu2006 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 14

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a non perishable coconut filling. I have a cake that will be covered in fondant and therefore can not be refrigerated.
Any recipe or site where I can find one would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

13 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 14

Are you wanting a creamy coconut FLAVORED filling or a filling with coconut actually IN it?

I have seen some folks post some incredible creamy coconut fillings, though I am not sure which were perishable and which needed refrigeration. I am sure they will pop in with the goods (cause I never remember to bookmark this stuff when I see it.)

I have one that is a cooked coconut filling that uses flaked coconut and does not need chilling. Thick but really tasty.

Will hunt for the recipe if you like-

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 14

Sadiepix I don't know about the OP but I would love to see your recipe! I'm always looking for yummy coconut recipes icon_smile.gif I would love to find a recipe that is similar to the filling in a Mounds bar...not that thick but similar in flavor.

sadiepix Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 14

That is just what mine is..I will go get the recipe and get it posted-
Hope you like it!
icon_smile.gif

sadiepix Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 14

I actually made this kinda by mistake as I was trying to make Coconut Barfi and failed.
I LOVE it in cakes, rolled into balls after chilling and then dipped in chocolate, in other candies and as filling in cookies too.

Coconut Filling-
1 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup milk (or coconut milk)
2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
1/2 tsp cardamom, OR cinnamon Or vanilla etc.

Heat a large heavy pan on med heat for one minute. Add 1 tbsp butter and melt. Add the coconut and toss continually til dry but not browned.
Add sugar and milk and continue to stir until it reaches a low boil.
Add flavoring/spice of choice and continue to cook, stirring often until it becomes thick and starts sticking.

Add the second tbsp butter and stir 30 seconds to incorporate. Mixture should be soft.

Pour into a greased pan or bowl and allow to cool.

Very thick. Can add more liquid for a thinner consistency if desired.
Keep in the fridge for longer storing but does fine at room temp for up to three days. Spreads best if room temp or warmed just a little in the microwave or over a bowl of warm water first.

Easily doubled/tripled etc.

Enjoy!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 14

Can you get Mounds Coconut where you live? I have found that using that brand, instead of others, brings the Mounds flavor to my coconut cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 14

I love coconut burfi. Wow, coconut burfi cake filling - what more could I ask? Ta-Da - another flavor for my menu!

Thanks for posting this -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadiepix Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 12:02am
post #8 of 14

Yeah, I am in love with it too!
I think it goes really well in a cake that has orange and cardamom in the batter and a fluffy white frosting with a hint of coconut milk and/or OJ. YUM!

I usually have to triple this as the DH and I eat it plain so fast I have to hide enough for the cake!

I have also managed to finally make the barfi properly with another recipe, but love my mistake too!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #9 of 14

Ohhh Sadie thank you so much for posting the recipe...I'm sooo excited I've got to make it this weekend!!! I'm drooling just thinking about it icon_lol.gif And I can get Mounds coconut here so I'll be heading to the store.

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:50am
post #10 of 14

Since it has so much dairy in it, I think a pinch of nutmeg would do better than the cardamom or cinnamon. Nutmeg always works best with creamy bases.

I made a white chocolate pistachio bark, to which I added just a pinch of nutmeg. It was incredible!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 14

sadiepix,

thanks so much for this recipe!

i have a coconut cake to complete this weekend and was searching for a coconut filling recipe. i am going to spike the milk with some coconut rum though.

oh...can i use unsalted butter instead of the clarified butter?

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 14

staceyboots -

Don't spike the milk, swap some rum for some milk, maybe 2 Tablespoons, at most, so you don't change the consistency. I would omit any spice if using rum.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the tip, Theresa!

sadiepix Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #14 of 14

Yeah, I have used regular butter in a pinch, not too much different.
The ghee part came from back when this had hopes of being barfi.

Hope everyone likes it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%