Artificial Fall Leaves On A Cake

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 17 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm by awela

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 8

How do I "stick" these leaves to the cake? I bought artificial leaves with no stem so how do I aproach this? Is it ok for them to touch the cake?Any help or advice wpould be appreciated.
LL

7 replies
seskenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seskenn Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 8

I've never done this before, but here's my suggestion: Cut a wide ribbon (maybe a wired-edge type) to the height of your cake, including a drape or swag length. You can then hot glue your leaves to it, overlapping them and positioning them. Then you can simply attach the ribbon to the top and "drape" your ribbon of leaves down the sides.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 8

Try sticking them on with a little buttercream or royal icing.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 8

Off the subject, but that is a beautiful cake!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 8

If the cake is fondant, you can use melted chocolate or RI.. If the cake is buttercream, you can use buttercream..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 8

Have you thought about what dyes are in those leaves; that someone will be eating the cake where they touched the icing? Some of those colors bleed into the icingicon_sad.gif
You can make frosting sheet or wafer paper leaves that would be food safe.
Using a trail of rib bon is probably the best suggestion. Glue them w/melted candy or royal icing or the hot glue as suggested.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 8

The ribbon idea is good, I just don't want it to show up but I'll pick something similar to the colors so it can be less noticeable.

Kakeladi... I though about the dies... the other day I put some candles on a cake for home and it had glitter. It was all over the fondant and they were there for a few seconds while we sang Happy Birthday so I really have to be careful with those things.

Thanks everyone!!

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 17 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 8

You can use either gum paste or fondant. Have in mind that gum paste dries out faster. You'll need the autumn leave cutter. Knead the past (either one is good) in an orange color. Cut the leaves and paint sparingly in brown and green duster lust using a brush then crunch some aluminum foil and throw the leaves on it to allow them to dry out. As they dry they will be taking the shape of the position they got when you threw them over. For a final touch you can brush some pearl dust for the shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%