Preparing A Cake Before Frosting

Decorating By Jayceem Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 6:09am by xstitcher

Jayceem Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

I am new at this. I have been doing cakes for birthdays and such, but I want to expand. I want to make a birthday cake for my daughter's first birthday and I have the design I want, but want to know what others do to prepare their baked cake before they frost it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

7 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 8

It depends on what you are trying to do. There are a lot of different things people do to prepare the cake - e.g.:

- some people freeze their cakes after baking; claim it makes them moister (personally, I have not noticed a difference)
- apply a simple sugar syrup to the top of the cake
- torte, level and add filling
- crumb coat
- etc...

Is this the type of information you are looking for?

Jayceem Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 8

Yes! I decided to freeze it but how long do I need to defrost it before I frost it?

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayceem

Yes! I decided to freeze it but how long do I need to defrost it before I frost it?

Shouldn't take more than a few hours.

ETA: when I do freeze, I defrost in the fridge; not sure why - I just do

aswartzw Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 8

If I have time, I freeze. It helps spread my cake time over a few days instead of crammed into one. While I personally find it does improve in the moistness, I prefer it because it firms the cake up for easier handling.

I remove from the freezer a few hours or the morning of (if I remember) and defrost on the counter. The refrigerator will actually dry out your unfrosted cakes so it seems counter-intuitive to me to defrost in there.

snowshoe1 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

If I have time, I freeze. It helps spread my cake time over a few days instead of crammed into one. While I personally find it does improve in the moistness, I prefer it because it firms the cake up for easier handling.

I remove from the freezer a few hours or the morning of (if I remember) and defrost on the counter. The refrigerator will actually dry out your unfrosted cakes so it seems counter-intuitive to me to defrost in there.

Aswartzw - I'd be interested in understanding why defrosting in the fridge dries out your cake - its still wrapped (wouldn't that be the same as keeping a decorated cake in the fridge when you have perishable fillings). Do you know the reason behind this? TIA.

Jayceem Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 8

I froze my cake, for a few days because I've been so busy, and I took it out today. It was so good and moist. I wrapped it in parchment paper and it was great. The only problem I had was when I iced it, the brown crumbles from the chocolate mixed in with the icing. How do I prevent that?

xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:09am
post #8 of 8

Hi Jayceem and welcome to CC!

Try doing a crumb coat first. This is a very thin layer of thinned bc icing which should seal in the crumbs from your cake. I usually bake, cool, fill and crumb coat the cake the night before and refriderate it. This will give the cake time to settle as well and will give you the opportunity to take care of any bulging issues etc. When you do ice the cake make sure you do not disturb the crumb coat otherwise you will have "crumbs" in your icing.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%