Can You Use A Decorative Ribbon Around A Smbc Covered Cake?

Decorating By MayWest Updated 14 Aug 2008 , 4:53am by soygurl

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

My fear is that the ribbon will absorb the butter in the SMBC. Any tricks??

Another question; can you use royal icing to make scrolls, dots and other decorations on a SMBC iced cake? Can you store in the fridge after it's all decorated?

5 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 6

When I use ribbon on plain BC, I will line it with waxed paper and use double stick tape. I would think it would work on SMBC also.

I honestly have no idea about RI. I would like to know too.

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

I'd like to know too, heres a bump!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 6

The royal icing will not harden if it comes in contact with the grease in any BC recipe.

As far as placing it in the fridge (I assume you are talking about the entire cake? icon_confused.gif ) I had a near disaster this weekend when I put one in the freezer, and when I took it out, the condensation made the dye in the icing run down the cake. Fortunately, the cake was all one color, and the cake was just for my daughter's drill team picnic. They all loved it anyway.

Hope this helps.

kirsten6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirsten6 Posted 13 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

I have read that you can use Royal icing on fondant, but on buttercream, the butter can break it down. You can make your dots and swirls out of buttercream though...If the dots get little peaks, you can pat them down with a light fingertip dusted in powdered sugar.

I have used RI on buttercream in the past though..and didn't have to much trouble.

As for the ribbon...you can buy waterproof or floral ribbon as well...the grease can leach through regular ribbon...I have had that happen & not to pretty...or the color can leach onto your icing..again..not to appetizing

you can tape or lightly iron the wax paper to the ribbon....I think the tape would be easier though. Good luck!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 14 Aug 2008 , 4:53am
post #6 of 6

I've used ribbon on SMBC cakes many times, but I ALWAYS tape the back of the ribbon. I usually used clear packing tape, and I "curve" it as I tape the ribbon. It's kinda hard to explain but without taping on a curve, the tape causes the ribbon to bunch a little.

Oh, and to save time, I line up the ribbon on one edge of the tape, and tear the excess off the other side. You have to cut a tiny bit to start tearing it, and then tear by pulling the tape against the edge of the ribbon. It's hard to explain, but try it and you'll see what I mean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%